Sent Back the Pro-ject Turntable: What would be the best option in the $1800 range?

I wasn't crazy about the sound quality so I sent it back. 

chakster recommended this TT:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-bIi2JMnJMvh/p_133SL1210B/Technics-SL-1210GR.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=812097800294&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=380681032017&awdv=c&awug=9004477&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_PTgksS_5wIVGYiGCh1ETAyrEAQYASABEgKQLfD_BwE

What are the recommendations of other audiogoners at that price range?

TIA
klimt
Perhaps your needs can be best met in the used market: mine were. I bought a very, very nice VPI HW-19 Mk 2 for $500 from a local audiophile: in fact, it was cosmetically and functionally perfect. Of course, it did not have a tonearm or cartridge but the turntable itself will last many years and it yields more than satisfactory performance. The HW-19 series can be easily upgraded with gratifying results. There are many other options too. Check in the classified section of this forum and elsewhere and check archived reviews.
I'm thinking about buying a SL-1200GR  'scratch and dent' from Crutchfield for $1,534.24 which will leave about $450 for a cartridge.

Crutchfield has a cheap $10 restocking fee which will allow me to audition the TT  with my system. Also, they have a generous 60 day return policy So I can always send it back if I don't like it.

Can anyone recommend a cartridge that pairs well with the SL-1200GR? It needs to be $450 or less.

And again thanks everyone for your help!