Frustrated with Vinly

Hey All,

Just coming here to let out out my frustration with Vinyl. I know that Vinyl takes patience but it's frustrating when playing some of my newer records and they have noises that I do not want to hear. Meaning, I try to clean them and they still have noise (pops, crackles, etc). When playing at low volumes of course you do not hear as much but when I turn up the volume is when it gets irritating. 

I can understand if older vinyl would sound like this but these are my newer records that I bought (amazon or barnes and nobles).

Now, I know the products that I am using are probably not great in the first place and I will probably need to upgrade to some more serious cleaner).

Currently trying to use a combo of: Kaiu Vinyl record cleaning set and I have also tried the Audio Technica AT6012 Record Care Kit.

So now I am considering either a Spin Clean type system or Pro-Ject  VC-S2 ALU Type cleaning system.

Any suggestions?

I almost want to give up on Vinyl sometimes and stick to digital (cd, hi res files, qobuz streaming).

Current equipment: denon dp-300f w/2m blue cart.

Thanks

Jay
128x128jay73
@jay73

You have nice gear. I am assuming you the Technics GR also, if so, what cartridge are you using or would recommend for it?

Thanks, on GR you can use wide range of cartridges, this is a medium mass tonearm (pretty good one), any cartridge with MID COMPLIANCE is a perfect match, "mid" is something like 20cu @ 10Hz. But don’t worry, almost any MM/MI cartridge with 20-30cu compliance figure (measured at 10Hz, not at 100Hz) is nice for this arm. Audio-Technica cartridges are mid compliance, most of the modern MC are mid compliance too. Some killer vintage MM are high compliance (30cu) and can be used too. I would not use any low compliance cartridge on this arm, but some people use them with higher mass headshell and technics subweight.

In the Pic, the GAE does look nice with it’s finish. The GR looks a little less shiny but it is half the cost, so I get it.

Yeah, exactly, the GAE is Limited Edition, the equal to GAE is "G".
For half price is "GR" in silver or in black.

By the way, what is the pitch control for? Is that geared more towards DJ’s, what benefit would it have for a someone like me?

Most of the Japanese direct drive have a pitch control, but normally it is rotary knob (very little), Technics made it like a fader. You can simply ignore it. But it’s a nice bonus to tune pitch when needed. If you’re musician (with a perfect pitch) you can actually hear it as a pitch of instrument (tonality), Technics explained it somewhere in details. If you’re not a musician you can just use it to make a tempo of the record a bit faster or slower (whatever you like).

When the pitch is in ZERO (locked in the middle) your record does not affected.

You have to try this turntable in some audio shop in your area, it’s really unbeatable, like a tank!

And i think this is best buy option if you want new for under $2k

Technics turntable provide superb speed stability, the highest torque you can imagine (immediate start on constant speed, not like those slow belt drives). This is a top class machine and the brand with strong reputation. 

It is MADE IN JAPAN
Like it or not , looks are important to each individual owner and their own preference. As well and more importantly that the outdated unattractive looks many feel the new Technics tables are,
No matter how much an individual advocates the purchase of something he doesn't own himself....the simple fact remains many many do not find its sound that appealing at all. 
Regardless of what some may rant about the Technics as the best and be all end all of turntables and shade all belts as toys....it would appear many many prefer the sound of those belt drives. An important reason to chose your option.
Thats the beauty of choice, it's personal , no matter how some try to make theirs the right or best choice for everyone else...
The SOUND is not belt drive or direct drive, the SOUND is mostly the cartridge, but the belt drive are inconvenient, slow, not stable in terms of speed, cheaply made toys (not all of them for sure, but those mentioned by the OP are definitely not the best belt drive turntables at all and very expensive for a belt drive). I’ve checked the price for a Dr.Feickert belt drive for example and it’s over $7000 (at least it’s easy to swap the arms on this one and it's a good looking table).

Many people never heard of Technics, never tried it, all their life they thought it was made for DJs only (the biggest mistake), i assume they never seen an SP10mkII , SP20 or top of the line SP10 mkIII, and speaking of very expensive belt drive (that might be good too, but at much higher price) even brand new reference class SP-10R is still cheaper being the best new DD available today.

Chakster, 

I note from your profile that your origin is not America.  As an American Military Vet, and civil servant for decades, I have served based on the foundation that All persons are created equal endowed by their creator with life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  If happiness be digital great, if happiness be vinyl, wondetful, and if your feet are in both, all the better for your tolerance.  But, Jay came to this forum for help, and with courage, explained his priorty for happiness.  What he has received from some is analysis and criticism, to the point that he has had to defend himself - that is just WRONG!  This forum should be the exchange of knowledge and ideas, but when your individual opinion becomes so extreme that you are now forcing the other to defend themselves, its WRONG!. So myself being of the composition of See Something, Say Something, Do Something, this response is now presented, and Enough is Enough.  All ideas should be welcome, but lets try to be respectfull of one another.  If someone is having to defend themselves, then we need a gut check on the convseration, and maybe even an applogy.  Good evening and God bless.