Preamp connection to multiple powered subwoofers

I'm trying to understand how those of you who have multiple, say four, powered subwoofers in your 2-channel audio systems feed the signal from your preamplifier to these amplifiers in addition to driving your main speakers. In addition to the physical connectivity, I'm also wondering how is the impedance matching between the preamp output impedance and the combined input impedances of these multiple amplifiers is addressed. Using my system as example, my preamp has two parallel outputs rated at 600 Ohms with one set driving a tube amplifier rated at 100K Ohms. Would the second output be shared across four powered subwoofers, most likely Class D with generally low input impedance around 10K-20K Ohms? Or folks mostly use the high level speaker connections through the main speakers and split through to the rest of the subwoofers?  I have the same question for those running passive subwoofers. Do you use the second preamp output to drive a dedicated 4-channel amplifier and out to the subwoofers, and if so, how do you handle the phase, gain, and frequency adjustments across the four subwoofers.
Appreciate any input.
128x128kalali
Wouldn't the simplest approach be to daisy chain your subs from your main speaker input posts, if that is an option?
Whats hard to follow with the crossover arrangement .? You split the  frequency coming out of the preamp before it hits the amps. Say at 80Hz. The upper frequency gets fed to the amp driving the R & L speakers . And the 80Hz below gets fed to the bass amp. 
Got it. The comment about putting the crossover ‘behind’ the preamp threw me off a bit. What you described is more like the ‘front’ of the preamp. But, I might be overthinking it again 😎

@kalali Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I run two sealed 10” passive subwoofers and have experimented with a variety of setups to get the signal and send it to the subwoofers’ amplifier(s).

In theory, high level inputs have the potential for good sound but my amplifiers don’t have that feature and I’m not sure I would use it even if I had the option.

Through experience, the best way I have found to do this is to grab the signal off your main speaker amplifier binding posts, after it has passed through the amplifier. Drop the voltage to line level and run that through a dedicated subwoofer preamplifier. Dropping the voltage can be done via a voltage divider, with two carefully selected resistor values, connected to some female RCA connectors. You can build or buy this. It’s just a high to low converter.

There a several advantages to doing it this way:

1) It’s very simple. You need a high to low converter (cheap) and a second preamp (can be cheap or expensive or free if you have a spare)

2) You don’t mess with your main preamplifier impedances or muck up the signal at a critical stage in the chain. Your preamp is happy driving your speaker amplifier. Don’t add more chores to its list or you run a risk of degrading the signal. If you split the signal after your main preamp, you also miss out on point #3

3) Since you run the signal through your main speaker amplifier, you apply its sonic signature to your subwoofers. Both the mains and the subs have all the sonic signatures of the chain between the source and the speaker binding posts. This is very helpful, possibly critical, in getting the subs to blend with the speakers in the best possible way.

4) This setup lets you easily tube roll (or “preamp roll”) to tweak the bass to your liking.

5) Bonus: You can easily add a DSP module just before the subwoofer preamp. I have found DSP to be very helpful with subwoofer integration.

If you run more than 2 subs, it is “safer” to use splitters at this stage because you aren’t influencing the main speakers in the chance there are impedence issues and you aren’t interfering with your main preamp’s primary goal: driving the speaker amplifier. DSP is another way to get more outputs. Mine has 2 inputs and 4 outputs.

I have used a tube preamp to do this and it sounded really good. I have also used solid state preamps which sounded good as well. I am on the fence as to which is better for a subwoofer preamplifier. Very soon, I am going to use an iFi iTube2 preamp for this application. I will try to remember to let you know how it sounds. Please feel free to reach out to me if you think I can be of any help.

Happy Listening!

Post removed