Upgrading a CD/SACD player with integral DAC

I’ve described my system on site before and it was pointed out the CD/SACD player was the weak link in the system. I’m not in disagreement, and would like to start researching an upgrade that would be commensurate with the rest of the system.

Here is what I have at present:

Marantz SA 8005 CD player with integral DAC
VPI Classic 2 turntable with an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge
Luxman L507 uX Mk2 Integrated Amplifier
Magico A3 speakers
Hydra Denali 6000S Power Conditioner

I have only Redbook CD’s, no SACDs but it would be nice to retain that capability. It would also be nice to retain an integral DAC, although at a higher price point maybe you would advise on getting a separate DAC. I’d rather avoid doing that if possible, as that would mean having to add more cables that would detract from the overall budget. But let me know what you think on that score. I have no plans to add any other components, or to stream music, so that doesn’t need to enter the equation. I listen to mostly fifties jazz and Rock ’n Roll and R&B, among other things, if that is at all relevant. I want to buy new, and not Chinese manufactured products.

So what CD players would you recommend looking into that would be similar in quality to the rest of the system. And what if any sonic improvements might I look forward to with your recommended upgrade. I purposely did not mention price point as I don’t know what price point would put the CD player into the performance range of the rest of the system components. You were all were very helpful to me choosing the rest of the system components, especially the amp and speakers. So I’d appreciate, and am looking forward to your recommendations and guidance on this selection. If there’s any more information you need, please let me know. Thanks

Mike

skyscraper
Hello Skyscraper,
     I figured that I would put my two cents in on the SA-KI Ruby. I recently picked one up on Audiogon about a month ago, for only  $ 2600.00. It took a long time to burn in; but I have been enjoying it ever since. I think that the best advantage is how it up-converts CD playback into a 11.2 Mghz DSD signal. I don't like to play the numbers game; but the SQ of this Marantz conversion is legit, being one hell of an impressive implementation. The SA-10 does the same; however, at a considerable higher cost. The sound-stage is wider, deeper, and instruments have a longer decay. I would say that the Ruby has the magic of leaving you thinking it has less detail; but leading to the full realization that the detail is still all there, only further back with more air and harmonic content. It is almost like everything has more room to breathe. 
     The real magic begins when using SACD Disks. Only now, with this Marantz 11.2 implementation, can I finally hear the advantage of DSD over CD. Natively, the differences were always hard for me to decipher. Kicking the SQ up another notch; the Ruby can convert multi-channel DSD Disks to a stereo down-mix, while still retaining a large percentage of the increased multi-channel sound-stage. The only thing that I have heard comparable was a MLP ( Meridian Lossless Packing ) DVD Audio 24/ 192 multi-channel disk, also down-mixed. The harmonic ambience could give analogue a close run for the money. 
     If I ever get bored ( Doubtful! ), I still have a sturdy and robust disk spinner with a digital output. I can still connect an R2R Dac, or any Dac I want. The Ruby still gives me various digital options that I might not have otherwise. Still, there is only one ( thrifty? ) way to get the Marantz 11.2 implementation. Anything in addition is only icing on the cake; but this 11.2 might be the whole cake, and eating it too. You might just forgo any other external Dac, and put your money into multi-channel SACD music compilations. Putting your money into music; instead of your equipment, is this audiophile heresy? I stand guilty as charged. Other options might be viable; but maybe I am just being a little greedy.
Thank you very much, pettyofficer, for your detailed description on how your Marantz Ruby performs. That's just the kind of information that I'm looking for.. You got a good price on your's too. I will definitely audition one of the Ruby's when it's time to make a purchase. It's definitely on my short list to audition on my next trip to the big city. I'll try and audition both an SACD and Redbook versions of the same content to get a better idea of the differences you are hearing with SACD playback. Not owning a single SACD disc, I'm genuinely clueless on how they sound. Thanks again,

Mike
Hello Skyscraper,

It should be noted that not all SACD disks are created the same, many vary in sound quality in the same fashion as CDs. I still suggest that the best of SACD can outperform the best of CD, while being played on the Ruby.
     One of the most surprising disks that I have listened to would be the Dianna Krall, The Look Of Love, SACD Multi-Channel. The Ruby can be set to play back a stereo mix of the disk, or down mix  (WOW!) the Multi-Channel. The later sounds like analog heaven territory. It is still an expensive disk, but still very popular. You might be able to borrow one from a friend, and compare it to the same release on CD.
     I seriously considered the used market for many Esoteric players, some of them still going even after 10 years. I was unsure of the availability of replacement parts, the optical drive receiving the most wear. I think that Esoteric might still carry parts, will they pay for replacement if you are not the original owner? I considered a newer transport a better option, but that is just me. I would certainly verify before purchasing a long in the tooth Esoteric. If it works for you, might be worth a serious consideration.

Pettyofficer, I’m only going to purchase new equipment for the reasons you stated. I’ll see about tracking down the Diane Krall releases you mentioned and play them at home in either format, and take to them to any stores I go to to similarly demo the CD/SACD players on my short list. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike
I’ve mentioned before that I use a Bryston DAC3 that has 4 HDMI inputs.  The OP doesn’t have SACDS, but would like to have the capability to play .  I have lots of SACD and output the DSD layer of SACD over HDMI from an Oppo 105 and a Sony 9000 SACD that is a refugee from another system.  Stand alone Blu Ray 
or DVD players can also be used.  More importantly for the OP, who doesn’t own any SACDs, other digital sources sound great via the DAC3.  So I would buy the Bryston DAC and a transport that can output whatever he desires.
  I used to own the Marantz SACD player that the OP has.  Great midrange, rolls off the top end.