A history question about planar drivers

This isn't rhetorical (i.e. a test):

Who invented magnetic planar speaker drivers as used by Infinity, Apogee, Magnepan, etc.?

I'd be interested in electrostatic drivers too - which preceded the other? Was the magnetic planar driver a development of the electrostatic planar driver, or vice-versa?

There's really no information about their development online, as far as I have been able to find. Does anyone here know?
blackbeardben
In reference to patents, the devil is certainly in the details. I believe that patent law is one of the relatively few official subspecialties in law practice; it requires special authorization to practice before the Patent Office.

I don't know that Audiogon is a particularly authoritative venue to debate the merits of a patent's scope....

;-)
Good point.

Regardless, it would be interesting to find out the specifics behind how other companies began using planar magnetic drivers (legally and otherwise).
12-02-10: Mlsstl
In reference to patents, the devil is certainly in the details. I believe that patent law is one of the relatively few official subspecialties in law practice; it requires special authorization to practice before the Patent Office.

I don't know that Audiogon is a particularly authoritative venue to debate the merits of a patent's scope....
As usual, Mlsstl's comments are well put and correct on all counts. I say that as a licensed patent attorney.

FYI, all U.S. patents that have been issued since 1790 can be searched and viewed at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website, although the parameters that can be entered into the search fields for patents issued prior to 1976 are very limited.

A search under "Magnepan" returns these patents. I haven't looked at them in any detail, but I suspect that some of their contents will prove relevant to the OP's question.

Regards,
-- Al
Yeah, I already did the search - but when I did the exact same search I only get 7 results instead of 9. There's something odd about that.

Either way, we'd have to know the details to search for the original patents.
The search returns 9 results if you change the setting in the "search years" drop-down box from the default of "1976 to present" to "1790 to present." The default setting returns 7 results, as you found.

Regards,
-- Al