The Truth About Power Cords and there "Real" Price to Performance

This is a journey through real life experiences from you to everyone that cares to educate themselves. I must admit that I was not a believer in power cords and how they affect sound in your system. I from the camp that believed that the speaker provided 75% of the sound signature then your source then components but never the power cord. Until that magic day I along with another highly acclaimed AudioGoner who I will keep anatomist ran through a few cables in quite a few different systems and was "WOWED" at what I heard. That being said cable I know that I am not the only believer and that is why there are so many power cord/cable companies out there that range from $50 to 20-30 thousand dollars and above. So I like most of you have to scratch my head and ask where do I begin what brand and product and what should i really pay for it?

The purpose of this discussion to get some honest feed back on Price to Performance from you the end user to us here in the community.

Please fire away!

128x128blumartini
@douglas_schroeder ,  "But, the audiophile public once in a while needs to see that there are good people trying to serve them (And, of course, serving themselves by involvement with the gear; that's obvious) and are not duplicitous.  :)"

Agreed. There are many good people who are genuinely trying to help the audiophile public. 

The trouble is that there also seems to be no shortage of those who aren't. 

Anyway, thanks for your considered reply and no hard feelings - best of luck with your writing. It's been a few years since I last checked out dagogo.com but I do still remember enjoying reading Jack Roberts' Beatnik Column.
cd318, this was a nice exchange of opinion and thought, and I also appreciate your comments. 

For your enjoyment, Jack is still doing his Audio Beatnik thing on his own now. If you do a search for Audio Beatnik you will find him. 

The power cord is the major artery for the power supply, that`s why the last piece of cable is so crucial. 

turnbowm
72 posts
11-14-2019 8:11pm
"I have investigated cables for many years and power cable improvement seems differ with the component to which they are attached.
- components with "less-capable" power supplies tend to exhibit more of an improvement
- compared to the same cable when used on amps with massive power supplies, which tend to exhibit less of an improvement"

Williewonka,

That ihas been my experience as well. I have a Bryston Int. Amp that doesn't seem to care what PC I use to feed it with. Other Bryston Amp owners have voiced the same experience. Robustness in power supply design is an important factor.
-------------------

Some but not too much thruth in this. The problem here as with other hifi-cables is that they mostly are junk. Mybe a bit better than a standard cable but not much. If you want to wake up your Bryston, give it a minimum 12awg solid core pc
Compared to the transformer itself, diode, etc. it has not much effect inline electrically. Other issues at hand perhaps, but actual conduction of electricity not so much. Many high end power cords are effectively 12awg or less.