Bluesound Node 2i vs Upscale streamers

For those of you that have compared the Node 2/2i to some of the more expensive streamers like Lumin, Aurender, etc., what do the big boys bring to the table. Forget the internal DACs, I'm sure theirs beats the Node. I'm talking about using these devices as stand alone streamers into an outboard DAC. What are the differences you've heard?

Oz

128x128ozzy62
The microRendu is a good idea, but you still need a computer so it can get costly.  The Bluesound is an all in one solution. 
The microRendu is a good idea, but you still need a computer so it can get costly.  The Bluesound is an all in one solution.

@grannyring .. the Node also needs either a smart phone, tablet, or computer for setup/control, never mind a NAS if one has a library of files to stream. I would imagine most, if not all, who are looking to up their streaming game are already using one of these "computers".
This topic reminds me of the great “transport debate” of 10/15 years ago.

Given the same DAC, would a $2k+ CD transport deliver meaningfully better SQ than a stock Oppo, a stock Sony or a used Pioneer Elite...?

those seeking incremental performance improvements would invariably say “yes”. Those with systems and/or ears not attuned to the difference would just shrug...”meh”....

the argument here is subjective.
what we would love to see/hear is objectivity in the debate.

otherwise, the juice may not be worth the squeeze.

Ozzy62 great topic, However my curiosity leans more toward a server having recently purchased a three piece digital stack with a streamer that is scheduled to be released soon. However I have second thoughts of purchasing a stand alone streamer ....

i understand the immense convenience at your finger tip streaming music and if someone told me 30 years ago something like this would be part of main stream choice I would of been sceptical of it .

Anyway my apologies for the rambling though my thoughts about your question how dramatic differences are there with say an entry level streamer to one double the price and so forth ? I have no doubt’s there are .
However I view these components as just computer parts in a nice looking box with many selling for thousands and some tens of thousands , is it a fast track to diminishing returns ? 

I transitioned away from using a transport to wanting to use a server to rip the many thousands of CDs that are available to me including my own collection.

Having listened to a borrowed server in my system last year I immediately liked the sound quality over my CEC transport and this no name home built server not only surpassed the performance of my transport it did it at less then 1/2 the price and of course I wanted him to build me one for the past 18 months .

Finally I’ve been chatting with a member whom owns , by the description and looks of his system a carefully thought out expensive system .
The source he uses for the majority of listening is a very inexpensive Cocktail Audio server which had me stop and rethink what I’m doing .So over the weekend I purchased a demo model Cocktail Audio server X50 for $1,650.00 , my initial budget before ever listening to a server was 6 grand , so the journey begin’s.

Everyone has a smart phone to download the Bluesound app. It’s great they have an app for music file management and playback which Sonore does not.  Bluesound is a nice one box solution for for those  who can’t spend more than $250-$550 and want a complete one box solution. I just purchased a Node 2 for $250 used.  Hard to beat at that price.