Which to Upgrade first? My Amplifier or Speakers?

I have owned a nice system for years, but I am hardly an audiophile. You people impress me with your depth of knowledge of audio. I've been following this site for some time. This is my first post.
From time to time I replace or upgrade components. I've got a tricked out Linn Sondek LP 12 turntable. I recently acquired a McIntosh MP 100 phono amp and am hearing LP's now that exceed anything I've heard on CD's and equal if not exceed the output of my SACD's. I bring this up only to give a flavor of what I listen to.
The issue is as follows: I have a McIntosh MC 206 Amp that I bought in 2003 that puts out 200 watts per channel. I have no issues with it, although I've never had anything to compare it with. I've read some impressive reviews of how much of a difference an amplifier can make to the quality of sound output. For speakers I have Magnepan 3.6R's that I also bought in 2003. I love them. I can only afford to upgrade one at a time - let's say in the neighborhood of 10 - 12K. So, I'd like to hear what this august body has to say about which I should upgrade first and why? The amp or the speakers? Thank you.
normantaylor

Hi Norm,

I hear yah .... I'm not knocking your system, you have some fine equipment there, on paper, but it's not paper we listen to.

I'm with Erik Squires and Optimize, the room is an extension of your system, but perhaps you've already addressed that, if not, start there. You may also consider running a designated circuit with appropriate grade wire from your panel (12 AWG) into good quality plugs.

I like the Maggie's - - - but not that much. They seem to be paired with Mac gear a lot (at Hi-Fi shows and retailers). One thing I'll say for Mac gear is it's reliable, the Kalashnikova of audio. Thing is they have a similar sound as well ..... dull. I spent an afternoon at Broadway Sound in Vancouver listening to a pair of big Mac monos (model slips my mind) and a pair of 3.7 Maggie's. The Mac's were running just about flat out, and I thought - - - where's the beef. Like I said, I find Mac amps dull and uninvolving - - - but that just MHO.

You're in a bit of a pickle there Norm, if you're going to move up the audio latter as opposed to a lateral move you're looking at some pretty esoteric gear, which is not only pricey, but rare. Roberjerman suggested Quad 2905's, nice speaker, but Quads are like Italian cars.

I wish I could be more suttle, but I can't (for your sake), can the Mac gear! Go used.

Speakers: Martin Logan Quests/or Requests, $1500.00 and if you have a big room the Prodigies.

Amp: Krell KSA 300S $3000-$4000, or Threshold SA12e, or Sim Moon W10's $3000 - $4000.

Pre-Amp: C.A.T, or an Atma-Sphere MP-1 or MP-3, or Audion Premier 2 box Silver Night. On a budget, a giant killer VTL Ultimate $2000.00.
One last thing - you may solve your issues with a phono cartridge, there I would suggest a Soundsmith Aida MKII.
Good luck & happy listening.

Hi Norman,

I found myself in a similar situation, where I was very happy with my components however was searching to do better. I was getting advice to change speakers, change Amps, Pre- Amps etc. But I felt that would only result in me having a different system which would ultimately be an expensive lateral move rather than a strategic move forward.

After a lot research and some sage consulting- I found that the least expensive and most efficient path forward was to maximize my investment in the components I already had.

Components make up about 50/60% of your system. If you are happy with what you have, then its time to make a committed invest in the other 40/50%  of your system.

As Some have already pointed out - That would include

1. Power Delivery - Most often overlooked, however most electronics only operate at 50% capacity because they are starved for more power. More Power results in greater soundstage,  clarity, detailed imagery etc... - Stock power chords will not get you to where you want to be.

2. Addition of Subwoofers - Your  Maggie's frequency response currently is about 34Hz /29Hz (broken In) - 40kHz. A good pair of  Subs will allow you to capture a larger Sound Stage beginning at 20Hz going up to 40kHz. This would reveal a wealth of details that you are currently not experiencing in the mid range(enhanced spacial separation) as well as getting you down to a consistent low end. Those measurements are not exact, but rather reference points to guide you. More accurate measurements  would be dependent on  #3

3. Room Enhancement - Also overlooked, but very important. If you have the means, Dedicated Space and Money. Definitely worth the investment.
Something I am still working on.

If 12k Is your initial budget, I would explore #1 and #2 first. As others have pointed out - take advantage of the used market.  Then save up for #3 when you have a substantial budget to make a real difference. Also realize that you are happy with your components now so you have time on your side. Any changes you make that move you towards your goal is a Plus. Enjoy!!

Put a few hifi fuses in the amp. Then place Hifi feet under speakers and amp.
 Make it the first ones you come across    Don't drive yourself nuts.    Now you have a new Amp & speakers  at
  $1000 or less Dog   
Norman
Speakers for sure.  1.  Speakers make the most difference. 2.  2003 - 2019 is a bigger gap for speakers than for amps.  That is to say there have been vast improvements in speaker design, materials etc.
(By the way, is refurbishment a possibility?)  
Hi Norman, 
We haven't heard anything back from you since your first post.
Would be interesting to know if and how your room is treated, what type of music do you enjoy. It seems you are quite happy with the job your current system does on the music you like and wonder if you can take the same sound to an even higher level?
Now in my late 60s, for the music I listen to: Contemporary, Light Jazz, light Pop, Blues, Celtic, Folk, Acoustic and  basically anything with good vocals and real instruments - I wouldn't even consider anything other than planars or electrostats. I love my little Maggie 1.7s but If upgrading, I would strongly consider the Maggie 3.7i with a pair of Bob Carver Crimson or Raven 350 tubed mono blocks or for solid state, possibly a Bryston 4B SST2 or Cubed. I see here on Agone and on AudioMart either of these combos used for around or under $12K. Sometime add a decent sub to augment the bottom 20-40Hz and considering how much you like the system you have, for the money, I can't think of anything that would do a better job at bringing that sound to a higher level.

Best of luck and happy listening.......Jim