Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
eiOO1
I have a collection of Richter playing Schubert Sonatas, part of BBC Legendsseries.  And another Richter Schubert collection that includes two sonatas and the Huttenbrenner Variations.  I think these must be different recordings than the ones you mention.  They are excellent.  I really love Richter!
When I watched the Volodos Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata on Youtube I was struck with a similarity between Volodos and Richter, i.e., their facial expressions and appearance at the keyboard.  They are both playing for themselves, not putting on a show for an audience.  I appreciate that.
The set I’m referring to is on Tidal. It’s different than the 1979 BBC recording.

https://www.amazon.com/Richter-Plays-Schubert-Live-Moscow/dp/B074511WM8/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=richter+...

I thought this review was accurate

This is pure Desert Island paradise! A set to listen to for eternity. Richter offers endless riches that will leave you enthralled and wanting to come back for more and more every day. As a Schubertian of time-honored service, his Moscow interpretations offer profound spiritual insights, practically note-perfect playing, and the contemplative concentration of a true master. There are lots of virtuoso flashes, but always to illuminate and probe the depths of Schubert’s genius. Richter’s Schubert is both serious and affectionate, charming by example, with urgent purpose, but without grandstanding. The persuasive power of his giant technique coupled with wisdom, precision, and restraint where required make this generous presentation of a Moscow string of recitals a model listening experience. The audiences are for the most part well-behaved, despite the occasional coughs, sighs, and applause, which are thankfully kept way in the background. Unlike many of Richter’s earliest Schubert recordings, these are not the primitive, muffled stock that typified Soviet postwar and 1950’s grammophone technology. The notes come through clearly, and although it may lack the ultimate 21st century acoustic refinement, the ear quickly accepts the monaural sound to enable easy listening to the more than 9 hours of musical enchantment. I don’t believe I have ever heard these Moscow performances until this release. Several of the sonatas here get multiple performances, but that does not seem bothersome, since the artist is always offering something new and fascinating to say. Schubert-playing by Brendel, Pollini, Curzon, Schiff, Perahia, and others certainly cannot be totally dismissed by this collection. But don’t hesitate about taking in Richter’s encore performances of Sonatas No. 6, 13, 15, 21, and the grand Wanderer Fantasy (which he also recorded for EMI in stereo back in the early 1960’s). This current Profil 10-CD set presents a consistently engineered collection of refined performances that include most of the Impromptus, Moments Musicaux, familiar waltzes, and ländlers, as well as duplicate performances of Schubert’s 3 Klavierstücke, D.964, which Richter pulls off with all-out bravado. Marvel at how the music resembles cadences of John Williams’ Theme from Schindler’s List (not yet written) towards the end of Klavierstücke No. 2. To top things off as an added bonus, Sviatoslav Richter is joined in the closing selections by his long-time mentor and recital partner, the legendary Benjamin Britten, to play the four-hand 8 Variations on a Theme, and by soprano Nina Dorliak in selected songs (delivered in Russian) from the Schubert cycles Schwanengesang and Die Winterreise. The spectacular set reaches a thrilling final summit with the brilliant Franz Liszt transcription of Schubert’s dynamic lied Erlkönig. Don’t hesitate to obtain this set for listening rewards that will last for a lifetime. While the pianist was cited for occasional "cold" playing during his frequent foreign tours, there is none of that evident in these white-hot, passionate home-crowd Moscow sessions. They represent one of Sviatoslav Richter’s all-time peak achievements as Schubertian and pianist extraordinaire.
The biggest mistake people and societies  make is in believing what comes after is superior to what went before , True for music as much as anything else .
Slight picture of that .
https://youtu.be/Wa2vzx-aNrw?t=3
ei001h, thanks for such a very fine post !

Teodor Currentzis coming to NYC this week. 

Experience Verdi’s Messa da Requiem, one of classical music’s most virtuosic and transcendent works, in concert and in film. Electrifying conductor Teodor Currentzis and the 100-member orchestra and 80-member chorus musicAeterna from Russia will take the stage in The Shed’s McCourt to perform Requiem. Following rapturous reviews at this summer’s Salzburg Festival, the performances mark Currentzis and musicAeterna’s North American debut. 

https://theshed.org/program/131-requiem-concert-performances

November 19 at 7 pm
November 21 and 23 at 7:30 pm
November 24 at 3 pm