What Class D amps will drive a 2 ohm load

Just asking.

I see specs into 4 ohms but nothing into difficult speaker loads (like Thiel CS5's).

Thanks for listening, 

Dsper

dsper
dsper
Trying to learn. Seriously.
Thanks for listening,
Dsper
These are the facts Dsper. you have a great speaker that demands in turn a great Linear amplifer to get the very best sound out them, not one that has compromises.

1:Stereophile bench tests the CS5
"Means that the amplifier with which it is used MUST HAVE ample TO SAY THE LEAST current capability, if the sound is not to become anemic. Amplifiers with limited current delivery to become starved in the low bass <2ohms, with a potentially disastrous effect on dynamics."

2: I have yet to see a Class-D measured by Stereophile to do what good linear amps can into loads <2ohms and that is to "almost" double wattage for each halving of impedance, 8 to 4 to 2ohms.

3: Stereophile I also do not think have ever shown a Class-D full power wattage into 2ohms without it freaking out or switching off, this proves they are not comfortable into 2ohms like linear amps can be.

Cheers George
Class D amps will have problems with 2 ohm loads especially if your in a condo or apartment building, since the switching transistors constantly modulate the current from the a.c. outlet  and the available current can vary which time of day other tenants are using the most electricity. The solution? Stay away from class D amps that don't have large extra power supply boards that will handle low ohms when your current is low. For the money, the costly Nuprime Evolution One at $8K a pair has a massive bank of capacitors and will laugh at 2 ohm loads. No problem. Or their lower priced mono blocs, the ST-10M at $3200 a pair. It is always best to buy a Class D amp with a large power supply found in A/B amps. The Nuprimes are killer due to the fact their switching amps are custom designed in house protected by their own patents and former top design engineer at Spectral, Damien Martin, has been an ongoing consultant for the company. The Nuprimes are sleeping giants.
Hello georgehifi,

I may be purchasing a pair of mono blocks.
They're Wyred4sound SX-1000's.
Some of the higher power Class D amps.

If the sale goes through I'll be sure to let you know whether they can drive a very difficult load speaker.

To let you know what I'll be driving...
A pair of original Infinity Kappa 9 speakers.
This will end the debate of whether these Class D amps can drive some low Ohm speakers for sure!

Right now I drive my 9's with 2 WOPL Phase Linear 700 amps along with my Krell KSA-250.
The Krell drives them to realistic listening levels with zero issues.
The WOPL's drive them as well but they do require active cooling.
I keep my Kappa 9's in the "Extended" mode as that's a true measure of whether the amps can drive them or not.

I have been very curious myself if these Class D amps are up to the task.

Will let you know if I do acquire these...

Skip

Seems odd to me but can I ask why you are purchasing these amps that are over $3K without even hearing/knowing they can drive these evil Kappa 9’s

Good luck btw with these IcePower based modules https://ibb.co/hZJN3q5

Good test, looking forward to it and your findings, and hopefully anyone else’s that maybe present, if you could get them to furnish their opinions also.

Cheers George
Heck..if your going to spend over $3K you would be better off purchasing a pair of the Nuprime ST-10M's. The Wyred4Sound amps are not in the same league. Just look under the hood.
The Nuprime power supply is much larger and their custom designed 
switching amp is equal to if not better than the B&O amps. 
The nice thing about Nuprime is that they display their top amps on their website with the covers off to assure you your getting your money's worth. Wyred4Sound will never display their amps online with their top's off.