Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
My pleasure.
i too have loved the Wild-Horenstein interpretations of the Rachmaninoff concertos, Ever since they appeared on LP.

+1 0n Wild-Horenstein , Rachmaninov Concertos too. I really think Wild was one of the most fearsome virtuosos of the twentieth century , he could be compared to ANYONE !! He had such an easy virtuousity that he made everything look too easy so he was dismissed because he wasn't making a shed load of faces while playing Rachmaninov's Third Concerto. Another great pianist who I think is the same is Marc-Andre Hamelin , again he has this way of playing which can encompass anything you just have to look what look what he did for Alkan's works. I would love to se him tackling some of the great keyboard works of Bach , I bet he wouldn't slow down for the decorations int the repeats.RV I love Zimmerman , I know you don't like Liszt but I find his Liszt very palatible ( the Sonata and Totentanz ) do remember though that if you don't like a pianist playing Liszt don't blame Liszt ( old saying from Brendel )
Here’s a nice outing by the Glasgow Philharmonic you won’t hear streaming .
Dia beanachadib Alba                The de facto Scottish National Anthem.

https://youtu.be/iYOBFj8jhS8?t=2 IMO, Scottish Pipes are a classical instrument .
https://youtu.be/a9nZ_qqf70I?list=RDa9nZ_qqf70I&t=3

That was also the opinion of my three grandparents born in Scotland .
“I was only six when I first heard Rachmaninoff perform, and I attended his
concerts regularly for the next twenty-two years until his death in 1943. I
heard him play not only his most of his own compositions, but the entire
standard repertoire that he chose to perform in public. I also had the good
fortune to hear him in the role of conductor. Sergei Rachmaninoff has been
the most important musical influence of my life. His sheer presence commanded
a respect which was formidable. The simplicity of his approach to
the keyboard was a model of perfection which I have strived to emulate.”
Earl Wild
Now listening to Earl Wild's Legendary Rachmaninoff Song Transcriptions