what's a good fm tuner?

Mcintosh wants $5000 for the tuner that looks like crap.....white  lights, come on boys get with it! I got the ma8900 and a and CD player.....im looking at the Yamaha t-s500..........the older mc tuners look cool mr78......but looks like a nightmare waiting to happen, and expensive one at best. 
128x128ladylion
you got a great $ on that, they went up a lot!   I dont play the radio a whole lot, mostly stream with my Bluesound 2i and play cd........thats why I was eyeing the Yamaha for $250.   t=s500.........I think the dynamic looks cooler though!
Tons of info on tuners here:   http://fmtunerinfo.com/

Sound quality is one issue, but reception is probably more important.  I have a Magnum Dynalab Etude, and while I love the sound, it doesn't pull in distant stations as well as my Onkyo T-9090 II.

Do you live in or near a metropolitan area or well outside one?  What are your plans for an antenna?

If you live a fair distance from the broadcast towers. how well the tuner handles distant stations (DX) will be important.  You'll do best getting a roof antenna.

fmfool.com and radio-locator.com can give you information on the distance to broadcast towers and signal strength.
That Yamaha will be fine for what you need! There is slim pickins’ on new tuners nowadays!