Recommendation for Subwoofer for Dahlquist DQ-10s

I am currently restoring a pair of Groomes G101A tube monoblocks, to be paired up with my Cary SLP98P preamp - which will ultimately drive a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's. I am in the market for a good subwoofer to run with the Dahlquists. I have a two part question:

1) Is it best to go with a passive or an amplified subwoofer with a preamp/vintage monoblock amp set-up?

2) If I decide to go with a passive subwoofer (with a built in crossover), or if I go with an amplified subwoofer (with a built in amp and crossover) -- where do my monoblock amps come into play in the wiring setup?

The crossover has to be in the equation at some point in order the filter the lower frequencies from the Dahlquists, but I want to keep all tubes in my formula.

bdp35
yOU'LL LAUGH! I use a Yamaha YST-160 active sub, in the corner, set at 40Hz. Leave the DQ-10's to roll off by themselves. That little Yamaha, which uses a pair of 8" woofers blends seamlessly with the Dahlquists while providing for a much more palpable low end. It is MUCH better then the old Dahlquist subwoofer, especially if you used their passive crossover box which destroyed the sound of the 10's.
These Yamaha subs are small, and cheap, and you can stick one in each corner of your room and never know they are there until you play some music. Or, you could invest in some other more expensive sub, but keep the crossover LOW, and 24 db per octave.
I'm not laughing, Planerguy.... your method is exactly as I did it, although I used an Audio-Pro B2-50 at the time. People can get the wrong ideas about the function of a subwoofer. In classical recorded music as the prime example, you don't really want to hear it, so much as feel it. 40 Hz is about right, but you can play with the crossover frequency on the active sub to meet your ears' approval. I did the same with the Quad ESL63s with similar positive results. I still use the Audio Pro similarly with my current rig.
If you want to stay vintage or maintain retro look. the Dahlquist DW-1 actually will work and sounds quite good but you need to drive it with a beefy amp. If you can find a good condition Dahlquist DQ LP-1 active/passive crossover, that will allow you to experiment and split the signal as desired. Be sure to use high quality (to replace the originals) caps on the highpass out section of the DQ DLP-1