Paradigm Studio 60 V5 Fingernails on Chalkboard

The highs have an edge that hurts my ears, especially female voices (e.g. old joni mitchell, Emmy Lou Harris, etc. I have a Denon AVR 1709 80 W/Ch home theater amp. Could the amp be the problem? It's not room placement - I've moved them all over the room, and it's not interference - it happens even when I only have one speaker plugged in. If it is the amp, what should I replace it with? I spent all my $ on the speakers, assuming the amp I have would work out. I have the speakers for sale on Audoigon but would like to keep them if I can find an affordable solution. Thanks!
bobagov
To elaborate on the replies regarding room acoustics I would like to share a piece of info I got directly from Paradigm years ago when I was having the same problem with a pair of Studio 40's.According to thier techs,Paradigm speakers are designed to have the flatest response in an Anochoic Chamber,thus when placed in real world rooms they tend to take on the sonic characteristics of said room.ANY tendancy toward brightness will most certainly be magnified by your speakers.Follow the advice of the members regarding your room acoustics & you may find you like what you hear.Good luck.
The AR91 arrived yesterday and I thought you all would be amused by what I found. I expected, of course that the silk dome tweeters would provide gentler though somewhat less detailed highs than the Studio 60. To my astonishment, the highs seem almost EXACTLY the same in both speakers - in fact the AR91 sound more like the Studio 60 than some other Paradigm models I listened to when visiting a dealer a couple of days ago! It's uncanny that these speakers, separated by 35 years of technology, sound so similar.

The Studio 60 seem to have mellowed a tad in the past couple of weeks - or maybe my ears have broken in, but they, and the AR91, still sound more bright than I would personally like. So I still have a lot of suggestions to follow up on!

I wasn't sure which speakers to sell - I certainly can't keep both. Being an old acoustic suspension system, the AR91 have the advantage of backing right up to the wall without a large effect on sound, an advantage in my small living room, but the Studio 60 would undoubtedly be more reliable being newer and with metal rather than cardboard and foam speaker drivers. The 60's also seem to carry a lot more detail in the sound.

In the end, though, I'll probably keep the AR91, not only because the tattered grills and the burns on the walnut veneer nicely match my bachelor decor, but also because I can get probably get enough $$ by selling the Studio 60 to actually try out some of your great suggestions. I do look forward to playing some more with 'real' audio and am grateful to all of you. The funniest suggestion was that I should just head to Best Buy - but think of the adventure I would have missed!

Thanks,

Bob
Sounds like your amplifier is the responsible party.

This seems like a reasonably priced tube integrated:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1293064678

Here is a solid state amplifier which was not fatiguing to me and is a bargain of a price:

http://store.virtueaudio.com/product-p/vrtu-ia-vaone.2-pbf-1.htm

The Virtue guys have a good return policy, so if it doesn't solve the problem, return it!
I've had the 60v5's for over a year now,they need a 100 hours breakin.I run a bryston b100 and have none of above problems,the highs radiate up in the air beautifully,the speakers disappear,no fatigue at all.I believe it's the amp as my yamamha dspa1 is unlistenable compared to the bryston.I wouldn't give up on the 60v5's untill you heard them on another amp,I love them.
Bob,I would chuck the home theater amp,like I said my yamaha is unlistenable compared to my bryston on your speakers.For a real cheap fix My brother brought over his new $200. berringer power amp and I ran it through my bryston preamp,unbelievably good on cd sound,not up to the bryston on LP's,but for $200.an awesome bargain.I had the same harsh painful problems with my yamaha on my 60v5's.You want to hear what your 60's sound like with a matching amp and preamp.