Paradigm Studio 60 V5 Fingernails on Chalkboard

The highs have an edge that hurts my ears, especially female voices (e.g. old joni mitchell, Emmy Lou Harris, etc. I have a Denon AVR 1709 80 W/Ch home theater amp. Could the amp be the problem? It's not room placement - I've moved them all over the room, and it's not interference - it happens even when I only have one speaker plugged in. If it is the amp, what should I replace it with? I spent all my $ on the speakers, assuming the amp I have would work out. I have the speakers for sale on Audoigon but would like to keep them if I can find an affordable solution. Thanks!
bobagov
If the speakers are brand new that could be the problem. A few years ago I purchased a new pair of the Studio 60.V2 and experienced the exact same issue. I still remember listening to a new Jackson Browne album and hearing his voice scraping through the speakers. I was going to return them. After a few weeks of playing/break in this harshness went away. This was verified with the Jackson Browne album. His vocal was smooth and clear.
Been a believer in speaker break in ever since.
Thank you all for your responses. I think the best thing to do will be to visit a dealer, with speakers in hand, and see if I can't find appropriate amplification for them that sounds good to me and is semi-affordabel. If not, then I'll sell them to somebody who has ears matched to these speakers.

I know that a lot of people like these speakers and so I bought them over the net without listening to them - probably a typical newbie mistake which I fully confess!

Meanwhile, I totally appreciate your generous tips and will be trying them out - keep them coming!

Thanks,

Bob A.
I found a local dealer who was kind enough to let me take a Studio 60 V5 demo pair home. I had to pay for them first with the option to return. The were beautiful speakers and I really wanted to keep them (especially at half-price for a demo pair that was like new). I listened to them side-by-side with my Monitor Audio RS6, and in my system and room the Paradigm seemed more revealing and detailed than the Monitor Audio, but unfortunately it came at the expense of being more harsh and bright. I ended up taking them back because it seemed more like a lateral move than an improvement. Again this is all just my opinion, but it seems to be the same issue you are finding.
Good idea, Bob. I think what many of us find out is that we have to spend more than we thought to get sound that we really like, but it's worth the money. Good luck.
I have heard the 60' s many times , they did not sound bright , I thought they sounded great for the coin . I would evaluate your other equipment before selling these great little speakers . Sometimes just one cord or cable change can make a big difference . Try some friends stuff in your system , It" s fun , free and you will learn much .