Ceramic insulator cone under phono stage shocker!

I have used small ceramic insulator cones underneath my phono stage for quite some time.
Previous phono was a Gold note ph10 and it did not make ANY audible difference I could detect which way up the cones were so I had left them cone upwards.

When I changed my phono to a Manley Chinook I just left the cones same way.
This afternoon I decided to flip them over so cone down just to see.

I honestly could not and cannot believe the difference!
I may have lost a smidge of low bass but everywhere else is improved in spades.
Much more detail, resolution, air, imaging, dynamics.
Just completely shocking how much better a small change has made.

But I am perplexed why such a huge change on the Chinook where I noted nothing on the ph10?

Any theories here?
128x128uberwaltz
Post removed 
Thanks Geoff for the explanation. I haven’t had any experience of using cones of any sort (maybe I should?) but I am getting extremely good results from using Ingress Engineering cup and roller balls directly under the components, sitting on a platform of 30mm thick slate with air springs for vertical isolation under the slate. I intend trying metal springs under the slate to compare.

With the Bakoon 13R amp because it uses projecting heat sinks as footers, I use another layer of slate, so the Bakoon sits on this, with Ingress Engineering cup and rollers supporting the slate platform and they in turn sit on a similar platform of slate which sits on air springs.

Ingress Engineering also make a version for isolating loudspeakers which I haven’t tried yet. If using these I would suggest using them with a platform of slate with springs under. With the Cube Nenuphar speakers I went for a simpler arrangement with them sitting on Townshend Podiums, which comprise a heavy aluminium platform with adjustable springs on each corner. There are a range of Podiums varying in size and weight capacity. I found a marked improvement in SQ using the Podiums even though the Nenuphar’s are already remarkable.
I have used and some customers currently use granite or Bluestone, which I’m pretty sure are similar physically to slate, slabs with my springs. Cones under the component and under the lower slab. I am quite fond of very hard materials and very stiff materials, the latter resists bending forces. Recall there are three rotational forces along with vertical forces and forces in the horizontal plane. Rotational forces are around the x, y, z axes. Like a boat on the ocean as a wave passes under it. Barry Diament of Led Zeppelin mastering fame is high on springs along with roller bearings, the combination of which isolates in all or nearly all six directions of motion.
Post removed