Paradigm Studio 60 V5 Fingernails on Chalkboard

The highs have an edge that hurts my ears, especially female voices (e.g. old joni mitchell, Emmy Lou Harris, etc. I have a Denon AVR 1709 80 W/Ch home theater amp. Could the amp be the problem? It's not room placement - I've moved them all over the room, and it's not interference - it happens even when I only have one speaker plugged in. If it is the amp, what should I replace it with? I spent all my $ on the speakers, assuming the amp I have would work out. I have the speakers for sale on Audoigon but would like to keep them if I can find an affordable solution. Thanks!
bobagov
I haven't heard the current Studio 60s, but I've heard them enough in the past and know that they aren't the easiest load to drive. Add to that that Denons don't typically like lower impedence speakers, and that may be part of the cause. Everything mentioned previously should definitely be addressed.
I've got 60V2's and thought I had made a terrible mistake but the speakers do take many hours to settle down and become listenable. My power source at the time was a NAD7100 receiver and it did an OK job but was still a bit harsh. I moved up to 200 watt per side mono blocks and a good tube pre-amp and now they are very very easy to listen to. Female voices like Holly cole, KD Lang, Diana Karl, Eva Cassidy etc are simply wonderful, Jesse Cooks guitar is breath taking. These speakers need clean power and high current to really shine. As good as Denon is you will need to invest in a solid source, amp and pre-amp or high qualitiy integated Like a Moon I5 or Cary etc. Fix these areas and you can play the Paradigms loud, very very loud without any glare what so ever.
Good Luck!
Hey Bobagov, not the Paradigm Studio 60 V5, but the pricier S8. What I posted a few years back FWIW...
---------------------------------------------

"Listened (briefly) at a dealer, comparing them side-by-side with JM Lab equivalent model (size and price-wise....don't remember the model #).

Audition was brief because I (old ears) and wife (young ears) found S8s excessively bright and piercing in the highs. All it took was a minute to decide these things were death to music listening pleasure. Maybe if they were listened to WAAAAY off axis they would be tolerable, but otherwise, no cigar.

JM Labs...a fine, smooth wine that you savor on your palate as long as possible.

S8...grimacing the whole time its on your palate (and to add insult to injury...it burns on the way down)."
What lead you to purchase these speakers? I would hope you heard them at least once before making a purchase and liked them better than other speakers that you had listened to. It sounds like a trip to Best Buy with $200 might yield more enjoyment for you.
There are so many factors involved that could produce what you're hearing but my best guess are the metal dome tweeters.

That's not to say you can't make them work but I think you'll have to do some room treatments at the minimum and a complete gear change at the other extreme.

At the very least I would run them in at a fairly high volume (don't clip!) by facing them very close to each other & throwing a blanket over them. Run one spkr. out of phase so the volume seems muted. After 100 hrs. of this if they still hurt your ears I would look for something else, 'cause at this point your battle is uphill.