Paradigm Studio 60 V5 Fingernails on Chalkboard

The highs have an edge that hurts my ears, especially female voices (e.g. old joni mitchell, Emmy Lou Harris, etc. I have a Denon AVR 1709 80 W/Ch home theater amp. Could the amp be the problem? It's not room placement - I've moved them all over the room, and it's not interference - it happens even when I only have one speaker plugged in. If it is the amp, what should I replace it with? I spent all my $ on the speakers, assuming the amp I have would work out. I have the speakers for sale on Audoigon but would like to keep them if I can find an affordable solution. Thanks!
bobagov
It may not be placement but the acoustics of the room, itself. Also, have you tried using the Audyssey EQ?

Kal
Kal, interesting suggestion. I did turn down the treble manually - do you know whether the Audyssey EQ separates out frequencies more finely than the manual controls, which are simple treble and bass?
Kal, Thanks, I did just try the Audyssey and it did at least partially tame the problem - but still not quite enough :(
How many hrs. of use does the spks. have them? Also, everytime you move cables around it takes awhile to settle down and the sound will get less edgy and bass should improve. What cables are you using? My gut feeling is that the Denon is no where near refined of an amp for the spks. Your spks. are revealing the shortcomings of your other pieces of equipment. I own some Paradigm floorstanders, the "Phantom" IV's. Driven by vintage Sansui int. amp and the system sounds superb. Don't give up the Paradigm's. Try a different amp.