Interconnect Directionality

Have I lost my mind? I swear that I am hearing differences in the direction I hook up my interconnect cables between my preamp and power amp. These are custom built solid core silver cables with Eichmann bullet plugs. There is no shield so this is not a case where one end of the cable’s shield is grounded and the other isn’t. 

There are four ways ways to hook them up:
Right: Forward. Left: Forward. 
Right: Backward. Left: Backward
Right: Forward. Left: Backward
Right: Backward. Left: Forward. 

There is no difference in construction between forward and backward, but here are my observations:

When they are hooked up forward/backward there appears to be more airy-ness and what appears to be a slight phase difference. When hooked up forward/forward or backward/backward, the image seems more precise like they are more in phase. The difference between forward/forward and backward/backward is that one seems to push the soundstage back a little bit while the other brings it towards you more. 

What could possibly cause this? Does it have something to do with the way the wire is constructed and how the grains are made while drawn through a die? Am I imagining this? Have I completely lost my mind?
128x128mkgus
Geoff, how and where do you believe the photons travel using the copper wire as a medium?
If the electromagnetic wave (signal) is comprised of photons AND the electromagnetic wave is carried by free electrons in the copper then doesn’t it make sense that the photons must be traveling through the copper? We know certain electrical and magnetic properties like the induced magnetic field are measured external to the copper wire and perhaps other fields, too. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
But, isn't the surface of the wire also saturated with signal carrying free electrons and the signal is passing through them with less mass to slow them down?
Relax. There is no paradox. The copper has the necessary free electrons, not the air or the dielectric material. We know photons can travel through solid material. X-Rays, radio waves and Gamma rays are well-known examples. So it’s not as if it’s a mystery. And we don’t need to find a reason why photons can’t travel through copper wire. Follow?