How to shop for speakers?

OK, I've got the upgrade bug. My problem is how to evaluate speaker auditions given the limited local choices and the inevitable differences in amplification, room, etc. I have a local dealer who will let me do home audition, but he does not carry 4 of the 5 brands I am interested in after attending RMAF. He is even getting the mfgr to send a pair for my audition. My problem is how do I judge the various speakers given the variability in listening environments and the time lapses between listening. Buying used for home auditioning and selling what I do not like does not seem practical to me given the price range I am looking at - not much available used in this range and too much potential for significant loss with each transaction. Besides what if I sell one I later decide was the best.

My short list after attending RMAF:

B&W 800d or 802d - not so impressed after dealer demo
Dynaudio Confidence C4 - waiting for dealer to get one for demo
Wilson Sasha or Sophia3 - was blown away by the soundstage of the Sophias at RMAF
I would like to audition Revel Salons or Studios or Sonus Faber Elipsa but local dealers are installers and do not have demo capability

My favorite at RMAF was JM Labs Maestro Utopia but they are out of my price range new.

Amplification is McIntosh MC501 ( this makes me a non-audiophile since I read in another thread that audiophiles do not use Mac equipment - I'm fine with that since I really like the music more than the equipment). But, I would like to hook up a MC275 during the hot summer months to listen at low to moderate levels.o

Not sure if this is a gripe or a request for advice, but I will appreciate any guidance that is offered other than the usual " you listen and decide" I already appreciate that.
altbrewer
Hi Atmasphere, I think we are on the same page here. I have built 1 amp and modded a few, but I'm a simple minded speaker guy. I try to speak in the simplest terms possible on these forums, because it took my feeble mind a long time to get where I am, which is mediocre.
Sensitivity is a measurement of power, so 1 watt input measured @ 1 meter gives an spl or sensitivity rating... so yes 2.83 volts does measure 1 watt @ 8ohms and gives you a sensitivity rating for an 8 ohm speaker, but to measure a 4ohm speakers sensitivity, we still put in 1 watt, yes lower voltage, but 1 watt of power to get the output or sensitivity rating.
Where as efficiency ratings are measured strictly in voltage. We have found many variations when measuring a speakers efficiency at different frequencies that do not necessarily coinside directly with its sensitivity rating. Crossover components, cabinet designs and direct driver designs measure slightly different at different frequencies, thus being more efficient at a given frequency, yet overall might measure the same as a different speaker in sensitivity. Again, I believe that we are on the same page and I hope that I am only clarifying your statement. Any way you look at it, sensitivity vs efficiency is similar and can be confusing. Overall, just get enough power and if you are using tubes, try to find your speakers impedence phase angles and you will come out successful. Tim
Thanks everyone.The figures are at least good enough some of the time,but not exact since they are always changing,plus other factors.
Thanks for the clarification guys.Good minds at work here to help keep us on the right track.
Hi Tim, I think you have that backwards: sensitivity is 2.83 Volts/1 meter, efficiency is 1 watt/1 meter.
Hi Atmasphere,
I think I got it right Power = Sensitivity, Voltage = Efficiency. In the long run, it doesn't matter for what we all do and in fact the two terms are 95% interchangable. We all know what we mean when we say a speakers Sensitivity or Efficiency is 90db.
An interesting example for everyone would be what a room does to efficiency. We put set up a 90db speaker in the golden triangle in the middle of a big room, if you get a flat response, they are 90db at all frequencies. Move them back a bit and the bass is reinforced, by ??? 1 to 6 db. We still have a 90db speaker, but we just made the bass frequencies more efficient. The speaker is still a 90db sensitivity speaker, but the room just made the bass more efficient. That is the easiest example of efficiency vs sensitivity for everyone that I can think of . For Altbrewer, I have no idea how all of this will help you shop speakers, please let us know what you end up with. The best of luck, Tim