Bookshelf Bake Off

Fellow Audiogoners,

Lend me your ears.  I live on a farm in South Georgia and have a 3+ hour drive in any direction to audition anything.  The price I pay for land, peace and horses I suppose.  I am putting together a secondary system and can't audition everything I have interest in, so I am hoping you can help me shorten the short list to a manageable set of maybe three (two would be even better) auditions for bookshelf speakers. They will be driven by 2 x PS Audio M700 Monoblocks, Schiit Freya+ tube preamp and a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+.  The space is fairly small at approx. 10'x20'.  For a number of reasons, floorstanders are not a possibility, hence the call for bookshelf speakers.  I would like to keep the budget in the $2K range, +/- a reasonable %.  I am not someone that feels the need to max the budget, i.e. linear correlation of price and quality, so feel free to suggest high value brands/models less than the max budget.  I have a pair of Focal Aria 906 in another system and very much like their sound, but want something a bit warmer with similar (or better) resolution.  Deeper low frequency extension would be a plus.  The brands I have narrowed the field to are:

Revel
Legacy
KEF
Monitor Audio
Sonus Fabre
PSB

This list is not written in stone, just my initial list after research.  Feel free to suggest anything I have omitted that warrants consideration.  Thanks in advance for your ears.

Mark

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmarkcdaniel
These I have heard and would definitely recommend... 

-Focal Electra1008 BE.  Worldwide stereo has a pair for $2k right now.  Killer speaker, killer deal.

-Dynaudio Special 40 (Probably one of if not “the” safest bet!)

-Monitor Audio Gold 100

-ATC SCM11

These I haven’t heard but would take a look at (i.e. read reviews on-line, research research research)

-Spendor
-Buchardt S400
-Fritz
-Revel Performa3 106
-Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
-Totem
-Pro Ac

@b_limo That is actually a good idea, I have Focal 1028Be in my primary listening system and the 1008Be would put me one speaker away (cc1008Be) from being able to integrate the listening and HT systems and retire the DefTech BP9040's currently running there.  I was wanting to try a different sound, warmer, but this makes a lot of sense. I was leaning toward the Monitor Gold 100's before this very obvious answer was presented.  There are some very good deals on the 100's also, so maybe I'll pick up a pair just for giggles anyway.    I am going to sleep on it.
Mark,
The pair of Ebony GX100’s with matching stands here on Audiogon for $1099 is a killer deal.  There’s also a pair of GX100’s in piano black here for $895.

There’s a pair of Paradigm S2 V.3 (Not V.2!) speakers here on Audiogon as well for $1450.

I’ve had a pair of GX50’s and a pair of Paradigm S2 V.3 and loved them both.  The Paradigms don’t come up for sale often and they’ve been going for more like $2k used, I believe.

Anyhow, between the GX100’s, S2 V.3 (beryllium tweeters) and the BE 1008 (world wide stereo, $2k new) you have 3 very nice choices, all at killer deals!
I've been living with a pair of Harbeth p3esr 40th anniversary model for about six months now and I luv them! I use them in conjunction with a 35 plus year old a/d/s pb1500 sub that has two 10 inch woofers each with there own 100 watt amp which is currently in the shop. I'm amazed how much bass these  little speakers produce on their own, I sometimes forget the sub is not working. I didn't care much for Norah Jones until I played her on these speakers and then I got it. There is plenty to read and watch on you tube about the p3s and there history might be worth your time.