Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Nice to hear that rv.  He was a very good conductor but the magic was the love the Halle had for him and he for them . They knew what he wanted and went all-out to give it to him .
learsfool , I have heard that several times and it is a joy to hear .
Have you heard the other great one out of Canada ,Kenneth Gilbert on harpsichord ?Gilbert says in the liner notes that he sees it as Bach's "Art of the Dance .
He makes a solid case for that in terms I would think any serious pro musician would like to read .Ever for the likes of me I thought the liner notes alone were worth the costof harmoniamundi  HMX2951240 .
Wouldn't be surprised if Canadian Brass  knew of his thoughts .
@schubert     Len I can really put you onto an "Art of The Dance" in Heinrich Schiff doing The Cello Sonatas of JS they are absoloutely joyfull and the first one is a delight from start to finish. No he doesn't have the polished perfection of Founier but he puts sheer and utter joy into them .Well worth a listen.
@jcazador         Jeremy  I enjoyed those links you posted of Arrau they were very informative and gave us an insight to his sound which was wonderfull. I was really amazed how a man of 80 could keep his techniquein such good shape. I think I have said this already but I went down to London just to hear him play  Beethovens last three piano sonatas. I have to say that His sound from the piano was absoloutely unique and his recorded sound could never give us what he gave in live performances. I think it must have been the eighties that I went as my daughter was just a baby then. The little Op.109 sonata I have never heard anything like it, such an organic sound it makes you never want to hear anyone else play them.
I heard Arrau live 4-5 times , left me wanting no other .

I had the Schiff cello sonatas and you are spot on jim.
These days i do listen to the profoundly of Fournier because he relaxes me .A great one by Maria Kliegel playing a Strad cello On Naxos seems near flawless to me . Like everything recorded in Budapest , ditto for the sound .

I don’t recall hearing the suites in person , but for me the greatest recording is Anner Blylsma on period instrument .