R.I.P: Rest In Peace Roy Johnson, Green Mountain Audio's Genius

All,

It is with heavy heart that I bring to you the heart breaking news of the passing of one of audio's true geniuses. Roy Johnson passed away this week after a long battle with cancer. He was a truly brilliant speaker designer, and true friend, and an amazing person. For those of us lucky to have known him as customers or friends we know he was infinitely committed to lending a hand, imparting his wisdom, solving problems and creating some of the most amazing loud speakers ever heard.  There were often gremlins in my system not centered around his loudspeakers and Roy would literally drop everything and help me trace down problems, while all the time educating and teaching me, not for gain, not for money, but because that's who Roy Johnson was. 

He will be greatly missed for his humor, his dedication, and his selflessness in audio and in life.

Rest in Peace Dear Friend,

You Are Loved
128x128birdfan
Sorry to hear of this sad news! I knew he had been ill for some time but didn't know it was this serious.

I'll never forget how he attempted to help me address the (then) severe room problems I had for 45 minutes despite the slim chances of making a sale of any of his products.

A true gentleman and true music lover. He will be missed.

I was saddened to hear the news of Roy's passing.  As everyone who has spoken with Roy as commented, he was very generous with his time and loved to discuss the physics behind why speakers behaved the way they do. I got to know Roy back around 2000. I was on a business trip to the Philadelphia area and stopped in an audio dealer to listen to a Plinius amp. It happened to be hooked up to a pair of Green Mountain Imago IV speakers. I ended up buying the speakers and calling Green Mountain for advice on installation and met Roy. We had many conversations over the years and I had the great pleasure to visit Roy in Colorado Springs.
   I ended up buying a pair of Europas...then a pair of C-3s, then the matching Vortex center channel and then a pair of his SW15 subs. Later on when came up with his HX crossover breakthrough I bought the upgrade parts for the C-3s and Roy sent me very detailed directions on how to perform the upgrade. That was a fun project with very worthwhile results...  I have become very attuned to the benefits of Roy's phase and time coherent design principles. To this day my main system, which is a hybrid 2 channel/ surround system has Roy's C-3 HX, Vortex C-3 center channel, Europa speaker for surround.  I have listened to many systems including all the systems at RMAF 2018, but I have not yet been lured away from Roy's designs. I will miss our conversations. I know he struggled with cancer over the years and always wished he had greater business success.
Just found this information in The Colorado Springs Gazette.  If anyone is interested in the memorial service details are included.

Johnson
ROY ALAN JOHNSON
July 27, 1953 - July 16, 2019
Son, brother, friend, Manitou Alum ('71) and long-time Green Mountain Falls resident. We have lost all of the above when Roy passed peacefully after an extended illness.
He was preceded in death by his dad Keith and is survived by his mom Dove, brother Tony (Diane), sister Kelly (Chip Swenson), former wife and friend Jeannie Bremer, many nieces, nephews and extended family.
Roy was a unique individual. As a Physicist, he turned his attention to Audio Reproduction and extraordinary sound. Sound so pure, you only have to close your eyes to bring whatever or whoever you are listening to right up front. In the words of a dear friend "Roy was one of the audio's true geniuses. A brilliant speaker designer". "He never gave up on his pursuit of making better sound".
He was just as persistent in his health battle. Never a "why me". Always the belief that he would get better and would persevere with his work. Forever the optimist
Goodbye Soundman and Godspeed. May the heavens be forever graced with your music.
In Lieu of flowers please donate to the American Cancer Society in Roy's name.
A Memorial Celebration to be held at the Sallie Bush Community Building in Green Mountain Falls on Sunday 8/11/19 2pm.

Very sad news. Roy was a true gentleman who gave generously of his time and advice and designed and built great speakers.  I am proud to have owned the  GM "Europa" monitor that provided quality sound for many years.  He was a great and kind man who will be sorely missed by audiophiles around the world.

Rest in peace,

S.J.

Very sorry to hear this, I met him at the RAMF about 11 years ago and spent a good amount of time listening to his monitors up above the Callistos. He was very nice as a matter of fact we was rocking out really liked my music I brought with me, RIP a very nice guy...and a incredible speaker designer...