Best Record Cleaning Fluid

Greetings All,

I’ve spend the last few days searching and reading about record cleaning fluids for my cleaning machine (Okki Nikki).  Wow - there are a lot of options out there.  Many more than I originally thought.  Some real esoteric stuff that costs a pretty penny.  I’m currently going through my entire collection, cleaning it, listening to it and adding it to a Discogs DB.  Want to finally know how many I have and have a list of them.  But doing this has resulted in me going through cleaning fluid rather quickly.

So many options, so many perspectives on what are the best fluids.  What do you all say.  I understand that alcohol is a no-no for fluids, but I can’t find out if some of them include alcohol or not.  Currently using up the fluid that came with the machine, but no where can I read it if has bad ingredients.

The 2-stage or 3-stage cleaning systems are not going to happen.  I did get a bottle of Revolv that I was told was good, and use if for new high quality pressings (as opposed to those I bought in high school).

Anyway, would appreciate some perspectives on good quality record cleaning fluids that don’t bust the bank.  Thanks for keeping the sarcasm in check.

Happy Listening,

pgaulke60
All records are dirty. Even brand new. Have you ever toured a pressing plant, or seen videos of one? Records are not produced in laboratory style clean room, but more like a factory situation. So clean all records new or used for best results. Also, do not put records back into the sleeves they come in, especially if they are just plain paper sleeves. These shed and scratch every time the LP is removed or replaced.For off the shelf cleaners I have tried:Nitty Gritty, VPI, Last, Super Cleaner, Premier, and a few others.
All did at least a good job, but Torumat was my favorite, until I found Audio Intelligence. Now I use an Ultra Sonic cleaning machine (sort of home made, not a $4k one). With only distilled water it does great, but with distilled water and the Audio Disc cleaner it does an even better job. And for the best I have heard, I use the Audio Intelligence 3 step mentioned above after the ultra sonic clean.YMMV, but this is my 2 cents.Good listening,
I use Record Doctor cleaning fluid.  You can buy the concentrated variety and mix it with distilled water.  This is one of the few cleaning fluids that doesn’t bead on the record surface
I have been buying records since 1970, and as was typical, used a Discwasher.  In the early 1980s, I bought a used VPI, and converted it to the 16.5.  Mostly, I have used distilled water with about 20% isopropanol, and a couple of drops of Kodak Photo-Flo, a mild detergent used when processing film.  I spreads out well on the records, and there is occasionally enough vacuum to cause some bubbles as the fluid is sucked off by the (be still, my heart) velvet lips.  I have never noted any residue.  Then (not to open up another can of worms), I use LAST on each side.  Since it bonds to the vinyl irreversibly, it sometimes can pick up dust that the machine didn't get the first time.  Then, I can clean it again...I am not a fan of the MOFI fluids, if only because they don't really wet the record, seemingly just blobbing above the grooves due to its very high surface tension.  
     There is absolutely no question that the ultrasonic cleaners work better (just ask your dentist), but they do come with a pretty steep toll if you want it automated;  If you don't, you can probably buy a large enough one on ebay, and fabricate something to  hold the records solidly while they spin in the water bath.  Then, they have to dry, so the money you save is more than taken up in the time it takes to clean them.
On my VPI 16.5 of 17 years I've settled on MoFi Super Record Wash with the MoFi brush. On used or soiled records I start with MoFi Super Deep Cleaner. The vinyl sparkles and the sound is enhanced. I had used Disc Doctor's Miracle Record Cleaner with a water rinse for years, though never noticed a Heightening of the sonics. Before that a home brew of water, alcohol and Photo-Flo, which I determined was not as good.
mijostyn - The bit about heated PVC making HCL is the funniest part.
The kinetics and mechanism of dehydrohalogenation of PVC is well documented in the scientific literature. I had the opportunity to study the surface chemistry of UV induced dehydrohalogenation of PVC many years ago using photoelectron spectroscopy. The dehydrohalogenation process can be induced thermally or via UV exposure and does produce HCl. That is one reason stabilizers are used in PVC.

Many years ago people observed their Monster Speaker Cable turning green through the clear PVC jacket. This was due to dehydrohalogenation of the PVC jacket producing HCl which reacted with the copper conductor forming copper chloride.