Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
I should amend my last sentence to say: “it’s simply unfair to compare a young pianist to such a dynamo.”
Certainly,  there are, of course, other great pianists. But, even so, Horowitz was unique.
I have often thought that all the Technique and practice in the world can only make it impossible to tell what you have done from what was always there.
Yes guys it is very dangerous for anyone to be compared to Horowitz but I am saying that given time maybe he will become as good maybe. here I think he is testing the water and the last number although not in my field is a pastiche on pices by Liszt he creates quite a storm and he has double octave glissandos that are trully frightening. I'm saying time will tell for this young man.
The greatest instrument God ever created is the human voice . Blend that with the instruments we have created and you are at the zenith of what music can do.Puccini could/can resonate the human soul better than anyone, the real meaning of genius .
.This clip is sung by the great Chinese soprano Ying Huang who was the first asian woman ever cast in the Madame Butterfly role , at least tin the west .

For many years I had a rule about Butterfly . if it was one I wanted to really see. my limit was a thousand dollars and a thousand miles .
Ying Huang brought something I never heard before, the inner understanding of how Asian women regard love .This is the most moving 5 minutes in all of music !
https://youtu.be/bkUq98oiyRc

Many times in Vienna, Berlin ,Budapest. London and you name it I have seen all the women and most of the men crying and I mean crying, not tearing up. at the finish .
Even if you hate opera, if you never see Madame Butterfly, in the company of other humans is best, you are missing one of the greatest experiences there is .