Help with up to $1500 streamer

Hi all,

I am new to Audiogon, I have been researching here and there but never posted anything.
I have been on a dilemma about a streamer, I don’t want to spend much money but the minimum acceptable products I could find are between 1000-1500 so I decided to ask more experienced people.

Most of my music is stored on regular CDs or FLAC on external hard drives, I initially thought it would be best to go all-in on CDs but I want the convenience of seamlessly switching songs, so streamer is my best choice.

I listen to mostly instrumental music like classical, movies and game soundtracks but a little bit of pop and rock too, my preference is for clear and fast sound, but I want to be able to distinguish instruments and get some good dynamic range.

just to give some perspective, my headphone system consists of an SMSL SU-8 DAC, connected with Mogami cables to a Massdrop THX AAA 789 powering a Sennheiser HD 650 with an original balanced cable, I would call it as nothing fancy but makes a good sound.

My stereo system is mostly a Bluray player Panasonic UB820, connected via HDMI to an Onkyo Receiver RZ 920, connected with Acoustic research cables to two mono Parasound A23s powering Focal Chorus 836v speakers, which makes an OK sound but I have to rely on TV being on to control music and it’s not very convenient.

all that said, I am looking for a streamer that has a good built-in DAC preferably balanced with an LCD screen that shows enough information about the track or at least a fully-featured APP that can seamlessly play FLAC from a USB device.

So far on my research, I came about Cambridge audio CXN and Azur 851N, Cocktail Audio X40 and NAD C658.

Please let me know your thoughts.
badgod86
Might check NAD C658. I have one that I recently updated with. PS Audio Directstream. I have plans to use it on a second system.  Right at your $1500 budget max. Has a rich tube sound.  The BlueOS system they use works great and easy to use. Also has DIRAC room correction. Might check it out.
Elac Discovery, Roon ready... great streamer for about $1000.00 new. Half that used. 
@badgod86,

How about Bluesound Node 2i and a iPad. You get very good streamer and built in DAC with iOS app that displays album art work on your iPad that no built in display can compete with.  

The RCA single ended output from Node 2i to your Onkyo receiver will provide you plenty of high-fidelity sound.  

The above setup will cost you $829 if you don’t own an iPad. 
I have been using a LUMIN D 1 for over 4 years. My source is Tidal Hi Fi and decoded MQA files. Cost is $2,000. They now sell the D2. Interface is via their LUMIN app on my I Pad mini. Sound quality is amazing and ease of use is the best you can find. A little extra cost will go along way.