Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Schubert,

+1 for your dislike of Liszt (except for the spectacular exception of the B minor Sonata.)
Thanks rv .I did hear a rumor in Paris that Saint-Saens , kind soul that he was, wrote the B minor Sonata for Liszt just to make his life worth something .

Hitler did his best for the composer that made his efforts so much easier , but the German people thought the country needed more than one composer .
Re Liszt, I'm not so fond of his original works for solo piano but I really do enjoy a lot of his transcriptions (depending of course on the performer) and his Annes which I listen to more (usually in its parts) than the famous to B minor sonata. Especially his Swiss Annes. Less thunder, much more lyrical I think.

Re Janacek, All's good with his orchestral music, but something I really enjoy that is rarely mentioned is his Danube (unfinished) Symphony. My favorite version is by Otakar Trhlak and the Janacek PO on Supraphon. If you haven't heard this you should (IMHO).
God agrees with you IMO .

I received my Audopquest Nighthawk phones today.Made sure I bought used because they need 150 hours break in .170$ for what sold at 600$.They are both the most comfortable and natural sounding phones I have ever heard . Audioquest has stopped production on headphones.I could have told them making a totally different phone that natural would be a money looser. We are all used to phones that boost the base and highs to make us say "wow" upon hearing .Natural sound is not wow . And their cost must be a least twice what Sennheiser,Beyer., whoever is.

I wouldn’t advise anyone else to buy them but I’m going to buy another pr. from Amazon at 249$ . Its hard to change and 150 hrs is more than a few.Plus,most people like to be wowed and that is not a crime .
jim204, Re 'smaller forces', i.e. big works with a chamber orchestra. I totally agree that there is little more refreshing especially with the old warhorse works by Beethoven, Brahms, & Schubert. I first discovered this with Harrnoncourt's Beethoven (despite his leanings toward HIP), the Mackerras's Schubert, either on Virgin or TELARC - my favorite is the Virgin), and  Berglund's Brahms.  I have Mackerras' but I find the Berglund more transparent which I prefer.  I have not heard Mackerras' Beethoven yet. 

For something unexpected, I have come to really enjoy Berglund's Sibelius with the COE. Sibelius has not suffered as much from over orchestration and denseness as the others, and Berglund rarely replaces my favorites, but is easily recommendable.