Streamer choices

Hello to alll. I would like to improve on the streamer that I have. I am presently using a Blusound node. I am considering the Cambridge AXN v2 or the McIntosh MB 50. I prefer the balanced XLR. I have a McIntosh C48 preamp . I would appreciate your feedback. Thankx, Arthur
arthurd
Arthur, I assume you're using analog-out from your Node to the preamp. If yes, then you can certainly do better. Not to say the DAC in the Node family is bad (it isn't), but there are better DAC's. If you like the McIntosh house sound, perhaps their streamer is your best bet.

Just curious .. have you compared the sound quality of the digital-out connections from the Node to your preamp's on-board DAC? 

I have a Bluesound Node 2 which I used for a couple of years in my main system (now in my work system). Using either coax or optical out to a better DAC than the Node's on-board DAC elevated the sound quality significantly for me. Many others have reported the same. 

BTW, I have a Spotify Premium subscription. For me, it's great for casual listening and music discovery. I really enjoy it and find the sound quality acceptable for the way I use it, and that's with a cheap Chromecast Audio. The Node is a terrific streamer and is likely all you need for streaming Spotify Premium. 

I moved on to a Sonore microRendu for more critical listening. It sounds wonderful with my own library of WAV files and Qobuz and was a indeed an upgrade over the Node 2.

Many ways to skin this "cat". Best of luck with your search.
An option at $2320:

• Tidal, Qobuz, or Deezer hifi subscription ($20/mo)
  • MHDT Balanced Pagoda dac - $1820
  • BlueSound Node 2i streamer - $500
I currently use Deezer, but if I was looking for the first time, I would go with Qobuz, as they have files up to 24/192.

A less expensive balanced dac that gets very good reviews and is feature-packed is the RME ADI-2 at $1100.

Edit:  I see you already have a Bluesound node. Is it the 2 or 2i?  As I understand it, for just streaming, the 2i  might be a small upgrade over the 2 because of the wireless improvements.  Something to look into.  

I have the Bluesound node 2. Right now I am using the optical digital output from the C48 Mac preamp. A buddy of mine said to try the coax digital output and see if I can hear any difference. Thankx .
I think you will find the biggest difference will be moving from Spotify to Qobuz or Tidal. In my experience the CD quality, and higher, of these services will yield a far bigger improvement to the sound than improving the streamer/DAC.

At 320kbs Spotify is a long way below CD quality. Playing Spotify through a better streamer/DAC will make a small difference. Playing Qobuz or Tidal through the Bluesound will make a massive difference.
You have received good advice from duckworp and others. That is: you can't polish a turd. Life is too short for listening to compressed music.

Start by upgrading to at least redbook res. from Tidal etc. then upgrade streamer. I would suggest separate streamer and DAC. I have heard the Lumin which is impressive but streamers are emerging rapidly and having the 2 functions in one box is limiting. I am using a Wadia 15 (redbook only)  DAC and doubt if I could find that perfromance from most combos except at insane prices.