Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
@ insochronism

As far as Wynton Marsalis I think punk is a little harsh. Do I think he is a great trumpet player in the same class as Clifford Brown, Fats Navarro, Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Woody Shaw, Kenny Dorham, Miles Davis, or even the late Roy Hargrove who played during the same period as Wynton?..... No I do not.

But many of his musical arrangements and compositions are very complex and pushing boundaries which takes b**ls and I give him his due respect for that. And, as stated by members here, his trumpet playing has evolved and IMHO is adequate.

I just received the "Blood On The Field" concept album comprised of suites and after listening to the whole of disc 1, I enjoyed it. It is not swing, be bop, or hard bop but is in a class of its own. I like a change from the same old same old from time to time and this fits the bill nicely.

Hi guys, yes Schubert, I suppose I was being slightly tongue and cheek. My term of "punk" just seemed enjoyable for me to type, at the moment. I imagine for anyone in the ranks of many accomplishments as Wynton has tallied,  keeping the ego tame at times presents difficulties. He does deserve his credits.               Pjw, What a loss, the great Roy Hargrove!              Wallace Ronny (mentored by Miles) is another great. His album Misterios, (to me) is in the vein of Freddy Hubbards' First Light.                           Again I really do enjoy Wonton's (Grammy) album with the English Chamber Orchestra.                    Darn punk  (sorry for paragraphing attempt)
It just occurred to me that I myself may be the punk, by calling  out Wynton when he is not here to defend himself... 😊 I like and respect Jack Sheldon!! After surviving a stroke, he continued playing left handed. Great musicians pull out nice tasteful imaginative runs... what miss they have developed!! George Benson blowing up chromatic runs whenever he feels like it....           I love you all!! 
Post removed