All the old issues of Stereo Review are online!!

And available here:   https://www.americanradiohistory.com/HiFI-Stereo-Review.htm

The infamous Clark amplifier test is January, 1987, if anyone wants to re-live that.  I remember reading that when it came out (I was just out of college, but, having worked at an audio shop when I was 14, was already well into the hobby).  That was when I began to be aware of how I might be suckered by appearances.

Lots of things to love or hate, but oh, the advertisements!
ahofer
I'm not absolutely sure how many entendres allowable, but to paraphrase Benjamin Franklin, "the argument that Julian Hirsch relied solely on objective measurements is sound, nothing but sound."  
Hirsch stated, " I’ve never listened to live music, but- I have a pretty good idea what it sounds like." That was in the last issue of Stereo Review, I ever read(circa 1980) and WHY.
But not germane to the allegation that he relied only on measurements.  There are many in the audiophile community who don't listen to live music. 

That also explains why he had followers(and those, to which I previously referred).    
Does it though?  Perhaps there are some who are interested in both the measurements and the listening.  I know I certainly enjoy John Atkinson's objective analyses of equipment that have long accompanied other reviewer's subjective evaluations in Stereophile.