Zu Soul Superfly

I just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the first 30 people got me.

From a similar thread it sounds like some of you guys have heard the speaker despite information only being released today. I'm wondering what you can share about it?

Also, I am really hoping it works with a Firstwatt F1 amplifier. Can anyone comment as to that? I know the Druid's and Essences worked OK.
gopher
How did you order?

I'm trying to get a pair of mission interconnects but I feel like I'm in email limbo and don't want to miss my chance to get a pair as I have a single opening in my system/am curious.
Best bet is to give them a call.

I picked up 2 pairs if 1M b-stock Mission ic's @ $75 each.

A few weeks ago I also purchased a couple pairs of Wylde ic's for $99 ea. I got the Wylde since I run mono blocks and required separated runs (the Mission are single loom except for the cable ends where they break out into pig-tailed terminations).

I would also be in the market for Mission speakers cables bought I had just purchased a preowned pair of Auditorium 23's.

The Zu cables are terrific at these prices.

Regarding my Superfly's (just to qualify this post as per thread title) - have run them with various amps (Red Wine 30.2, Dignity Audio 300b monos, Monarchy SE100 Deluxe MkII) and my favourite is the Quad II Classic Monoblocks which seem to be optimized for the higher Z of the Superflys (16 ohm). Sound is rich, extended, detailed and very sweet. At my listening levels there's plenty of headroom.

I enjoy the Zu sound having previously owned 2 pairs of Druids.I think my previous favorites were the Druid Mk IV with upgraded tweeter and network (Mundorf silver/oil, Mills resistor, B3 cable loom) with original FRD. This variation had a slightly dark overall sound with a detailed yet smooth top end. With my Wyetech labs SET monoblocks the soundfield was very holographic. I did not care for the Druid MK IV-08 quite as much - just didn't seem as rich to me.

The Superfly produces more bass than either of the Druid variations with a more open and airy top end while preserving the richness (especially with the Quads) of my previous favourite Druid (same Mundorf network).

My audio nervosa finds me alternating the Superfly with Harbeth SHL5's (terrific with Dignity Audio 300b's) on a weekly basis. Two totally different presentations and can't choose one over the other so will keep both.

Harbeths are smooth, rich, deeply layered sound stage, very holographic with 300b's, incredible texture on voices (Mark Knopfler, Patricia Barber) with amazing palpability. They sound the way they look (rich Rosewood veneer). Pipe and slippers time? Maybe but absolutely full, balanced, non-fatiquing and gorgeous with my jazz/light pop playlist.
Appropriate partnering beverage - McWilliams Australian Shiraz.

Superfly is fast, more micro-detailed, upfront soundstage (less layered not quite as dimensional). Voices and individual instruments seem to separate and jump out for amazing realism and dynamics. Tonally full but not at the same level as the Harbeths. Appropriate partnering beverage - tequila Ceasar.

Just my thoughts on two great transducers with totally different presentations. Love them both and being a Gemini can't choose one or the other. Of course all comments relate to my specific room and partnering gear.

Regards,
Dave
Dave,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. Well written and very insightful. If ever hot, exposed tubes become an issue in my house I will probably investigate the Quad IIs based on you and Phil's findings.

I have been extremely happy with the way my system is sounding driven by 845 tubes via a pair of Shuguang S845 MK monoblocks. It is hard to make these speakers sound bad, but from my experience this is the ultimate! Sound is sweet and fast while being harmonically developed and very dynamic. It also adds a little something special and romantic to the sound without being annoying and euphonic.

Phil is dead on in recommending 845 SET to drive Zu speakers and my only criticism of the pairing has nothing to do with SQ... Its heat output! These make my Atma-sphere S-30 seem cool running and put off far more heat than the Pass Firstwatts.
Pardales, how is that Miniwatt working for u, thinking about getting one. Would not be able to run a sub from it though, like I do with the idecco & Totem Forest. I know nothing about tubes but I'm curious. I know, might not need a sub with the Superfly but i think a sub always makes a difference. Bob