Need Suggestions

Since Axpona 2016, I have replaced / updated almost my entire system, except Speakers. In the last 3 to 4 weeks I have auditioned. Rockport Atria I, Focal Sopra 2 & 3s, Paradigm ( I forget which models ), Wison Sabrinas, Yvettes, and Sashas 2s.  All were good in one way or another. None totally blew me away. Not one made me want to give up my Avalon Opus speakers that are going to be 14 years old this Thanksgiving.

Speakers last a longtime and IMO are the hardest to replace. 

I have never been able to get on the panel bandwagon. Took 4 years to switch from Thiels to Avalons. Due to health issues, I don't know if I have even that much time left.

I am a Vinyl guy. 3000 + records, 83 CDs (4 are test or burn-in disks)

My Gear is:

Pass Lab XA160.8s and XP 20 pre, previously Spectral Owner for 20 years.
Phonostages, Manley Steelhead and Pass XOno
Turntables, Technics SL1200G w/ Triplanar arm, Lyra Kleos cartridge
                 , Kuzma Stabi w/ upgraded platter and outboard power supply, 12" VTA arm, Dynavector XX II mk2

I did listen to some fine CDPs, Streaming (I guess Dacs) The digital just made me happy that I never jumped on that train and continued with vinyl all these years.

Appreciate suggestions for speakers to search out. 20 to 25 K is my target range. I would stretch to 30K if they Really, REALLY, blew me away. I missed Axpona due to health and weather issues this year. You really can't audition speakers at the shows anyway. 

This will be my final system.

Thanks for suggestions and best to All on this journey.
nkonor
Guys,

Appreciate your responses. Yes, this is a hard speaker to replace. The thought, popped into my head Sunday night. Get another pair of Avalons. They don't come on the used market often though. Raul, suggested them and when I saw his post, I looked on A'gon. There was the pair of Avalons that popped into my thoughts Sunday night and was posted by Raul. Avalon Eidolons with diamond tweeter.  Must be an Omen ?

I emailed the seller. We are now in communication. Kriss, the seller is in Wasilla,AK. I am an ex-Alaskan. A flight to AK,I can inspect and listen to them, and wife and I get a trip to Alaska. ( Would actually be a vacation and a chance to visit friends in Eagle, AK.)  We would rent a u-haul truck and enjoy the trip back. Spring in Alaska and Canada and "Outside" would be very nice. Hard on me, but worth it. 

No chance of damage during shipping. I have plenty of miles for 1st class tickets. Except for size, you could hardly tell them from mine.

Thanks again and best to All
Kris,

Still thinking about your Eidolons, I live in (Chicago) four0fiveseven6seven5. Let's stay in touch. I think that we communicated once before. If I remember right, you are on your way to retirement in Colorado. You were looking for MIT ICs at the time for your Spectral gear at the time.

My MIT SCs and ICs are a good match with my Pass Lab gear. The deal breaker for me, is the speaker terminals on the bottom of the speakers. My Avalon Opus are the same and my Thiels before them. A PITA, especially with my MS condition, even with my wife helping. Only clean the connections once a year, but would not look forward to it. Wife and I are getting up there in age too. 150 lbs. , I am not sure that she can handle them.

Are your Eidolons finished in Cherry ? The pictures look just like mine. Are you the original owner ? As I said above, we would fly to Anchorage, get a car, come to your place to inspect and listen to them. I would bring my MIT speaker cables. We will get them hooked-up. Are you a vinyl or digital guy ? I am a vinyl guy but do have a few CDs.

Can't think of anything else right now. Hope that you are able to figure out number. Calling would be best. Good luck finding a buyer for the Spectral gear. Just sold my Spectral gear to one guy, took almost 2 years.
Personally we wouldn't recommend this move. 

One of the best sounding speakers at Axpona is available at $36k which is the new Vimberg Tonda. The Tonda was extraordinary, in terms of both its musicality, and value for money. 

The build quality is off the charts, and the drivers are all the latest from Acuton and you can even get the speakers with a pure diamond tweeter which is a much newer and vastly superiror version to the one that Avalon was using years ago.

There is also a smaler version the Mimo for $29k.

Loudspeaker technlogy has advanced considerably. Used to sell Avalon's so know what you like the Vimbergs are very Avalon like with better fit and finish and for a very good price point for such a remarkable loudspeaker. 

The Vimberg were one of the best sounding speakers at Axpona and cost a fraction of the price of many of the crazy expensive speakers out there.

We are not a dealer but were so impressed we are trying to get the line.

So right now not easy to hear but the Canadian distributor Wynn Audio might be able to assist you with a demo. 

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ