Distortions that the human ear likes. Are there any ?

This is based on a post from another thread, where someone speaking to a studio mastering engineer, repeated a quote by this engineer, stating " most audiophiles like certain distortions ", and it quickly started a debate. I did not want to continue this on the other thread, as it had little to do with the OP's direction on his thread. What say you, Geoff, George, Almarq, Ralph, anybody......if this thread goes nowhere, I can always have it removed. Enjoy ! MrD.
mrdecibel
You might, I suppose, indeed come up with a preference for a single-generation copy tape to the original vinyl, but if your system's response were being continually improved by other means, would you come to the point that all you preferred was the vinyl?
ivan_nosnibor
Well, I don’t think it could Rilly be better. If it were, then the more tape copies you make from the original tape, then the better the result should sound, yes??

>>>>I’m not saying yes but I’m definitely not saying no. But that’s getting ahead of the question. I’m only asking about one copy. I’m not considering other variables just copying.
This is right. Say, some audiophiles use single-output tube amplifiers with output triodes and low feedback or without feedback at all. Such devices produce strong second harmonic and these people decide that this is a sample of ideal sound.
When it comes to harmonics (and I realize this thread is about whether or not we might "prefer" any certain kind of distortion), then overall I'd think that the most "realistic" reproduction of harmonics across the board would be the one most immune to criticism. But, then I don't think in terms of arriving at the best "recipe" for harmonics, but in leveling the playing field for for devices that are supposed dish out harmonics somewhere close to their original relationship.

To do that, we need to look at the biggest cause (IMO) of less than ideal harmonic performance and that is the "other" harmonics - line harmonics - or the "bad" harmonics. Cancel out those and the good harmonics come out unscathed, in virtually any system. And that's more of a noise-floor reduction/power-factor correction thing.
We covered all that in class yesterday. You know, the difference between harmonics and harmonic distortion.