Take up drums at age 56?

I know this technically has nothing to do with high end audio but I know there are some drummers here that might be able to help me along here....or tell me to skip it altogether. And it does have to do with music.

I'm almost embarrassed to even post this. I'm 56. I have never played a musical instrument other than dabbling with a harmonica. I do not read music. I am certain that I'll never perform for anyone or play in a band.

But I've always wanted to play drums.

And now I have enough money to get a simple cheap used drum kit and I have a basement that is isolated enough to not bother the neighbors. (I actually have an acquaintance who refurbishes used drums who can probably hook me up).

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Can you teach yourself to play drums? Alone or with YouTube etc? Are actual lessons required? Can I skip the practice pad and start with a kit?

2) Is there any point? In other words, even if I were to learn to play are the drums the kind of instrument that you sit down and play for your own pleasure the way you would a guitar?

My realistic expectation is that I'd get a simple kit. Try to do something with it. Find that it is much harder to do than it looks, especially for a guy with two left feet. It sits in the basement for a while and then I sell it for a big loss but hopefully at least happy that I tried it.

Any other thoughts on the matter?

(If totally inappropriate for this site I have no problem removing the post.....especially if someone points me to a better site for the topic.)

n80
Robert, that's why I recommend taking lessons. In the OP's case, he should at the very least have some  instruction to start him off.
I believe he said the music shop offers this.

GO FOR IT ! I watched my brother start at 50. He did however have a head start with 30 years of guitar with lessons and could read music . He now is exclusively drums and takes lessons, as he is OCD . He’s on his fourth kit after 10 years . He trades with Bentley’s Drum Shop in Fresno, Ca. I’ve attended clinics there with him . He’s drummed at the store with Carmine Appice , Vinnie Appice and Tommy Aldridge . He was big on a Yamaha and now has Tama . This last year Kenny Aranoff came , as well as the Tama rep. He used my brothers kit for the clinic . When Carmine came , he played later that night at a local small venue with Michael Shanker and my brother went with him . My brother plays well and has worked his ass off . Also having earned a Black Belt in his discipline, has helped his speed and timing immensely. But he drums mostly alone and for his own pleasure. He’s like a Soul Surfer in the way he approaches drumming . We grew up in a music filled house and were both SENT to piano lessons . Marc kept at it , and I learned to the PLAY STEREO fairly well 😝. You only live once as a human , so GO FOR IT !!! Peace , Mike B. 
@lowrider57 I was remiss in not mentioning fingers, but a beginner has to strengthen those wrists practicing rudiments first.  You are totally correct that developed drummers require finger dexterity as well, but that seems WAY beyond a beginner's horizon.  Mastering the simple rudiments will strengthen the wrists and then give the musician the opportunity to develop the fingers as they master the finer points you list.

Learning to read drum charts will also help, but practicing rudiments from sheet music will clearly help with that part as well.  I also agree that electronic drums are fine, but along with others, I suggest getting a regular kit--you can start with a practice pad and pair of 5A's.  FYI, my brother and all learners back then used HUGE sticks...I doubt they make them anymore.  (They were painful, as well, when he smacked his little brother, as siblings sometimes do.)  I just remember the tips were huge and the shafts were almost twice as big as 5's are.  Fun times!  By the way, he drove the entire family nuts as he NEVER STOPPED banging on stuff.  Probably why he was good at it as we have no natural musical talent in our family as far as I can tell, even though I play "at" several instruments, but only by myself as to spare others the mess.

Cheers!
@richopp

Great advice!

Rudiments are indeed essential to achieve a high level and so is doing them precisely and properly and at first, very slowly. However, working on chops can be rather boring and therefore it is important that rudiments are just a part of a practice routine and warm up. The joy is in the music. Learning to groove is even more important than chops! A band will take a drummer that can groove over one that has amazing chops!

Some of the greatest rock drummers learned by playing along to tracks and learning to groove/feel.

At the tender age of 70, I decided to take up the alto saxophone.For fun, something to do, and for the mental exercise against ageing, and so on. 3 years in, I am loving it and play in two 'community bands'Yes, of course it's harder than it looks. That goes for most things. But you should enjoy the journey. Take lessons, go to band camps in the summer, and just go for it.I know this is a drum thread but all those things go for most instruments.