Help buying a television

My girlfriend and I will be moving to a new house, and the room for the TV is much larger than in our current setup. She loves football (yes, some guys do get lucky), so the NFL via DirecTV will be the primary focus. We'll be about 12 feet from the screen. From what I've been reading a 50- or 55-inch screen would be about right for that distance. Also, I've read that plasma is still thought of as best for sports.
Do these bits of information seem correct? Anything else we should consider? Recommendations -- including brands -- would be greatly appreciated.
FYI: I posted this under "Home Theater" because that made the most sense. That said, this will be a set on the wall, not a real home theater.
Thanks so much for your help.

-- Howard
hodu
Agree with plasma I have a Samsung 63" viewing distance about 12 feet screen size perfect for us.
Good luck
Run a 58in LCD for daytime crap (and Plasma if you can afford it) and ON TOP OF THAT get a nice Projector for serious sports and movies if you can control the light.
You can get a killer 1080P Panasonoc 4000, Epson 8500UB and others for $2000.
Like another wise poster said earlier there is nothing like a game on a big ass screen! It can be doen far cheaper than many assume these days.
My dad does 59in Panasonic Plasma for daytime and a 106in screen for movies and sports, I have only a Projector in my room but dad and mom use their basement for most all relaxing......................GO BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just went to help a friend purchase a large screen, and we settled on the LG. I was surprised frankly, but for the money it was a great value.
One thing you may consider is the new RGBY, with yellow added to the RGB mix. IT IS IN A WORD, INCREDIBLE.
Just look, then let us know your impressions.

Larry