The Harbeth phenomenon

In my search for a new pair of speakers, I've gone through many threads here and noticed that many owners or fans of Harbeth have almost a love-like connection with Harbeth speakers. It is almost as if the speakers cast a spell upon them. I know many audiophiles love their speakers but Harbeth owners seem especially enamored with theirs. I am extremely puzzled by this phenomenon because on paper Harbeth speakers look average at best and lack many of the attributes that generally make a great speaker.

Their sensitivity of generally around the 86dB mark makes them rather inefficient and therefore, at least in theory, not a good match for many lower powered tube amps, or any amps below 100wpc. Their frequency range is simply inferior to most high-end speakers since they don't go below 40 Hz. This alone should, again at least in theory, disqualify Harbeth speakers from consideration as top high end speakers. And yet I've never heard anyone complain about their bass, while people complain about lack of bass in the Gibbon Nines from DeVore, which is a fantastic speaker. Their cabinets look like a cheap DIY enclosure (disclaimer: I've never seen a Harbeth up close, only pictures). The 7ES-3 is rated B-Restricted, while the smaller and cheaper Usher Be-718 A-Restricted in Stereophile but garners nowhere near the same amount of admiration, praise and following among audiophiles.

So what's going on here? Is this a big conspiracy plot by the company that paid off a few hundred of people to infiltrate audiophile internet forums and a few reviewers? I am of course joking here, but the question is serious. How can speakers so average on paper be so good in real life? I know the opposite is often true, but you rarely see this phenomenon.

Please speak up.
actusreus
Tvad,

Sorry I did not see your post.

FWIW the M40.1 is really rather uninspiring - even Stereophile did not take much of a shine to it. The compact 7 and SHL5 are way better in the mids - these are the models that people seem to get excited about.

Harbeths need to be brought forward and listened to from near field. The radial driver is very clean with great clarity in the mid range. I think pretty much everyone agrees on that.
Are any of you using the SHL5 for watching movies in 2-channel ? how do they fare?
As an amatuer speaker builder I have come to the conclusion that Harbeths are the anti-Magico. The later are rigid and resonance free to the exxtreme - flat frequency curves, nuetral, nothing but the facts Ma'am wraped in a magnificent wood and aluminum wrapper. Harbeths are generally designed to work with well tuned and a bit frumpy cabinets to achieve a more euphonious mid range and pleasing harmonics. I like both speaker lines, but try to emulate the Harbeth approach in my designs because, I guess ultimately, I like 'em better. I also appreciate earlier sonic comparison with Sonus Faber's - Harbeth's sexy Italian cousins.
I think the only Harbeth phenomenon is in some peoples minds. I have only heard them on two occasions (40 and 40.1) and they were good but not great for me. If you dig a little deeper you will find many speakers that are as musical and more. I think the 'phenomenon' may have more to do with the longevity and size of the company.

my two cents...
There are other fine loudspeakers which are as musically enjoyable as the Harbeths and perhaps do some things better.

I currently own an earlier generation of the Verity Parsifals, which replaced my previous Harbeth M30s that I described above. The two are not directly comparable as they are of different design philosophies and price points- one is a rather large 2-way monitor, the other a full range 3-way design. Interestingly, my wife still prefers the Harbeths when listening to the vocals of Maria Callas or Diana Krall. Overall I prefer the Veritys, but the two share many sonic similarities (e.g. beautiful vocals and midrange magic) that ultimately translates to pure musical enjoyment.

Anyway, there are many fine loudspeaker choices. Your ears are usually the final decider (and your wallet).

pk