Hear my Cartridges....🎶

Many Forums have a 'Show your Turntables' Thread or 'Show your Cartridges' Thread but that's just 'eye-candy'.... These days, it's possible to see and HEAR your turntables/arms and cartridges via YouTube videos.
Peter Breuninger does it on his AV Showrooms Site and Michael Fremer does it with high-res digital files made from his analogue front ends.
Now Fremer claims that the 'sound' on his high-res digital files captures the complex, ephemeral nuances and differences that he hears directly from the analogue equipment in his room.
That may well be....when he plays it through the rest of his high-end setup 😎
But when I play his files through my humble iMac speakers or even worse.....my iPad speakers.....they sound no more convincing than the YouTube videos produced by Breuninger.
Of course YouTube videos struggle to capture 'soundstage' (side to side and front to back) and obviously can't reproduce the effects of the lowest octaves out of subwoofers.....but.....they can sometimes give a reasonably accurate IMPRESSION of the overall sound of a system.

With that in mind.....see if any of you can distinguish the differences between some of my vintage (and modern) cartridges.
VICTOR X1
This cartridge is the pinnacle of the Victor MM designs and has a Shibata stylus on a beryllium cantilever. Almost impossible to find these days with its original Victor stylus assembly but if you are lucky enough to do so.....be prepared to pay over US$1000.....🤪
VICTOR 4MD-X1
This cartridge is down the ladder from the X1 but still has a Shibata stylus (don't know if the cantilever is beryllium?)
This cartridge was designed for 4-Channel reproduction and so has a wide frequency response 10Hz-60KHz.
Easier to find than the X1 but a lot cheaper (I got this one for US$130).
AUDIO TECHNICA AT ML180 OCC
Top of the line MM cartridge from Audio Technica with Microline Stylus on Gold-Plated Boron Tube cantilever.
Expensive if you can find one....think US$1000.

I will be interested if people can hear any differences in these three vintage MM cartridges....
Then I might post some vintage MMs against vintage and MODERN LOMC cartridges.....🤗
128x128halcro
Yes of course the MFG-610LXs top them all, I´ve known that for two yrs now, you see I have the former 1980´s edition 610LX w/ boron and it sounded awesome out of the box (was NOS). Fantastic cartridge in my system, top 5 "MM".
My first GLANZ was MFG-310LX (in early 80´s) and also great, the best thing I remember it had no listening fatigue. Now I must point that the former 31L is inferior and mediocre indeed. 51L is still quite enjoyable, tracks Telarc cannons with ease but nothing magical though.
Seems that the darn Palladian is still a few steps ahead ; )
Glanz invented Boron cantilever for one model only in 1982, this model is MFG-61 with PH stylus.

At that time all Mitachi Moving Flux cartridges have had 3 kings of cantilevers, look at my picture: 1) Conventional Aluminum, 2) Rare Boron Rod (in the middle) 3) Very strage huge tapered Aluminum.

The headshell integrated versions of Glanz MF may have slightlyt different cantilevers, but they are all huge in diameter!

The manufacturer clearly stated the Glanz MFG-61 is most prestige model among Moving Flux cartridges . The date on the Bruel & Kjaer individual test for MFG-61 is 1982.07.04

Any Glanz MF models with 3 digits number released later on, not before.
I believe the 610LX was released in the late 80’s or in the early 90’s, the Glanz was closed in 2003.

We have no proof of the cantilever type utilized for their MFG-610LX, but i wish to find a proof!

All we can say for sure is that earlier MFG-61 has Boron Rod cantilever and it’s documented.

@harold-not-the-barrel I´ve known that for two yrs now, you see I have the former 1980´s edition 610LX w/ boron

The cantilever of MFG-610LX is completely different compared to MFG-61 !
The color of 610 is too light for Boron, most likely it’s Beryllium or Titanium (because it hollow). But if you said you have a Boron (and you have a box) it sould be nice to know what’s stated in the manual. Do you have the manual for 610LX ? We could stop speculation about it once we could see a picture of the manual, really. Could you provide it ?

Now I must point that the former 31L is inferior and mediocre indeed. 51L is still quite enjoyable, tracks Telarc cannons with ease but nothing magical though.

I have scanned the manual for all Glanz (2 digit models) and now you can compare the specification for all of them from 71 to 51 and from 31 to 11 , enjoy.

Comparing my 31L, 71L and 61 i must say the worst sounding model is 71L with it’s huge cantilever. My sample was NOS, burned-in and tested. The 31L was much better than 71L in my system.

But they are all too bad compared to the MFG-61

....the performance of the 610LX is NOTHING like the other Glanz 31L, 51L, and 71L cartridges which are rather dull and mediocre IMO.

Good to know, Henry. The rest of the models except 610LX and 61 can be forgotten forever with all ASTATIC cartridges made by Mitachi.

Listening your files and reading your comments i believe more people will realize than Cantilever material does matters when it comes to Mitachi MF cartridges (Glanz, Astatic, Azzurra, Jamo ... ).

More information about Glanz is in the glanz thread

Cheers.

Another new acquisition (thanks to Chakster)........
A NOS GRACE SERIES II
Disco version....🕺 though we don't quite know what that means as it has the BERYLLIUM CANTILEVER WITH LINE CONTACT STYLUS just like the normal Series II.
Definitely better than the GRACE F9...the LEVEL II requires careful set-up and probably 50 hours run-in time.
This one only has about 9 hours......
How does it fare in the shoot-out....?

AS PALLADIAN 

GRACE LEVEL II 
Me ? I´m just lawnmover and not good at computers, I´m an old hat : ^¨. To be honest, I don´t trust those machines. Btw, without Isaac Asimov´s Three Laws of Robotics the computers and eventually robots will take over, maybe sooner than later; some experts say that we already have lost our control over technology that eventually will enslave mankind. How cares about some unknown author who died exactly 27 yrs ago. Certainly those who are in power are not thinking about Asimov´s Laws ! Let alone Einstein´s or Hawking´s ideas and guidance.

And I have a life outside the internet and activities like marital responsibilities, and in my restricted spare time I´d rather listen some music than argue in dull and endless conversations about divergence of outcome audio quality levels in different Hi-Fi stereo systems especially with besserwissers. And I´m really not good at in social media either. To be honest, just lately I´ve been listening a spectacular vintage cartridge that probably and "seemingly" outperforms all GLANZ models, no matter what styli they may have, it´s just in other performance level. But that of course is a different subject and off-topic.

However, I may have some crucial information of the relatively interesting subject in question. I live in a different GLANZ bubble unlike some others (?), you see I´ve been living in the MGF-XXX bubble all my audio life ; )
Indeed I had an audio life decades ago, my first true HQ cartridge was namely the GLANZ MFG-310LX w/ Line Contact stylus which I bought ... if my memory serves me right late 1984 ... wait a moment ... something came to my mind ...

Meanwhile you could see this more closely and judge yourselves (I still can copy and paste): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLANZ-610LX-Moving-Flux-Phono-Cartridge-/132994137794?ul_noapp=true&n... I asked the seller if this has original manual but he said no. What a pity.
So, it was you 😤.  Btw, a most unusual (strange) and interesting post.