referencing vs plug & play

This last couple of months more of you have been getting ahold of me, it's cool don't stop. I enjoy working on your systems and especially enjoy some listening together. Something though is coming up often and it's making me wonder if somewhere along the way someone has dropped the ball when it comes to comparing components. In talking with a few of you I've learned that a lot of you are dropping components into your systems and comparing without dialing your system into the new set of conditions. Back in the early days of referencing, before plug & play, when we made changes to a system we treated the system as if everything was starting from scratch. We knew that if making a component swap took place that we were going to need to make the rest of the audio chain suitable to accommodate the new signal path. "make a change anywhere in the flow and you've made a new flow"

When the plug & play audio clubs started popping up my friends looked at me as if these folks were off their rockers. I just figured they were doing something interesting but weren't really serious about club night, more than a chance to mingle. It's kind of the same thought as a trade show. You don't really take them serious, but it gives a chance to meet and greet. Saying this, I'm starting to think possibly I was wrong and plug & play has become the norm over actually referencing systems. My mind tells me this is nuts, right, but I'm hearing more and more that HEA folks are actually simply dropping components in mid chain and that's it. So I have to ask.

You do realize plug & play is different from referencing a system change don't you?

please be respectful to each other, thanks

Michael Green

128x128michaelgreenaudio

Hi Tj

I spent all day spinning & voicing Type4 "white". That is after I got back from the curing house. Spring has sprung and so people have been coming out to greet the nice weather. My first year here at Tam was interesting. After the first person got a system from me you could see the folks peeking in to see what was happening. No real talk about tuning, more that audio guy down in #205. After the second system a little more interest. The next and then next, the folks around here all talk music now. Not just talk music but you see them visiting each other. I’m told by the landlord this sense of community started when I moved in. Before then they kept to themselves.

When I can I like doing wire voicing myself, or any voicing. From one end of the outside walkway to the other is about 70’-80’. Now it is a common sight to see me out there early in the morning running the wire. By the end of the day you will see me doing the final de-stressing of the cable for that day. The destressing part I will do as many days as it takes. There’s a lot more to it but I bring this up because we were talking about the screws. Anything that spins it’s not a matter of tightening and loosening, but more developing a pattern of flow and making that flow adjustable, like opening and closing a gate for the vibratory interactions.

back to today

So here I am in the beginning of the day running wire. The last suite at the end of the walkway you have two guys (now tunees) talking off and on all day. They weren’t paying much attention I’m sure in the beginning but I would walk from one end of the walkway to the other and back, voicing the wire as I went. After the spin when you let go of the cable the stress would make the cable fly all over the place. The cable looks very unruly (wiggly). At that time cable companies usually make a master roll, which forces the wire into cable form, I don’t. What I use is a technique that allows the wires to relax on their own.

I'm not going to get into the process obviously, but the whole thing last about 6 months start to finish, with different things done to the wire to prep it (natural cure baking is one of them). So here I am making trips up and down the walk way and about my next to last trip one of the guys says to me "that can't be the same cable". Yep it's the same run I started with. It took him a while to believe that this unruly wire was now this perfectly relaxed cable that ran the whole length now totally in a straight line and relaxed, with no slight wiggles at all.

mg

"On the other hand I am not really interested in this stuff. After spending a good part of a year fooling around adjusting and breaking in stuff I am ready to take a tweak vacation.
No more tweaking.."

LOL, tweaking vacation. You make it sound like work :)

Plug & Play now that's work, tweaking that's work, but Tuning in the variables now that's just plain fun.

MG

Hi Michael its great to hear you are working on the Whites I will definately need more of them especially on my equipment side :). 

On to the screwing topic lol, its a real treat to tune them I guess most people here do understand what is it all about. In my experience working on those equipment chassis and outlets has truly brought out a different level of tuning experience. The effect is big and best part its tottaly free to work on all you need is an appropriate screwdriver size that's all. 

Now on to Elizabeth's infection, I had that upgraditis and it was a big one lol!! but once Michael introduced me to his tuning world all I can think now is where is my next tuning challenge ;). 

"Hi Michael its great to hear you are working on the Whites I will definately need more of them especially on my equipment side :)."

Hi Tj

Nothing quite like the start of curing season around here.

MG

Post removed