Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Has anyone listened to Derzhavina playing Haydn Piano sonatas yet as I did yesterday and have to say I enjoyed them very much. She has a brilliant tecnique and she brings out the quirkiness of Haydn’s writing.
Regarding Derzhavina’s Haydn disc, I have it and enjoy it very much. I agree about her technique and also about Haydn’s quirkiness.
Regarding Haydn and Mozart piano sonatas, I far prefer Haydn’s. They are more interesting, more playful, more varied, and less foursquare. Of course, I recognize Mozart as a genius of the highest order; IMO his operas and piano concertos never have been exceeded. Still, in this genre, Haydn reigned supreme (until Beethoven).
yes, love Dershavina's Haydn, but could not finish her Metner

as for Haydn v. Mozart, Sv. Richter made clear his preference for Haydn
I am listening to Bart Van Oort's Mozart (14 cds), played on fortepiano as written/played by Mozart
The package includes an explanation by van Oort of the differences between modern piano and 18th Century fortepiano, and "as a result many puzzling aspects of Mozart's style and notation fall into place."
I also love Oort's Haydn piano sonatas, and his nocturnes including Field, Chopin, and others.

Have just been listening to Van Oort's Haydn and once used to the Fortepiano it is most enjoyable and it does make one think of the relevance of Mozart's piano writing .
Thanks RV.
Beethoven sonatas. I've so many of these of which most are highly acclaimed performances, I simply ignored Stevecham's endorsement of John O'Conor's set on Telarc (on 4-08-18). Well, long story short, I just finished listening to the complete set. IMHO, not only are these excellent performances, the recordings themselves are so much better than many of the performances/recordings that I prize... go figure. If you're interested Vol I is a great place to start. You can appraise these critically if you desire, or alternatively, just sit back and enjoy.