Reel to reel

I’m entertaining the idea of purchasing a reel to reel to record my albums on and also use to possibly soften the digital age a bit. Does anyone know where or if NEW blank tapes can be purchased? Are there any thoughts on a resurgence of R2R and if blank media will become more easily accessible?
128x128luvrockin
Ralph, I don't fully trust your hearing and your neutrality and objectivity. Tape is overall superior to any LP pressing in real world. As for theoretical possibilities, I don't know, but there is always an issue of playback. Put $200k vinyl set-up against $25k Studer and the vinyl will lose big time, not just lose.

I have a Technics RS 1500 that I modified by replacing all the electrolytic capacitors with "Black Gates", and also replacing all the transistors with new ones. Panasonic people are wonderful to do business with; while I didn't get the caps from them, they supplied the new transistors, plus new tape rollers.

As you know, the noise floor is related to the signal level, and that's where you would hear tape hiss. If the signal level is automatically higher than the noise floor, tape hiss will not be heard.

What I'm saying, is that if my music signal is strong at a low level, it will so over ride the noise floor as not to be heard. In the past, when I had that cheap AKAI, I definitely remember tape hiss. I don't know if you know about "Black Gate" capacitors, but they are definitely a game changer, and will command a higher price and a quick sale for any working component that has them.

When I was listening to playback of a brand new record, just a few minutes ago, I heard record noise, that constant low level noise during silence, but no tape hiss; I've been doing this long enough to know the difference.

This whole vinyl thing is a money making industry BS. All the big ticket tables, arms, cartridges, phono stages etc. All we need is good tape decks and good pre-recorded tapes. Even no separate preamp is needed, though external play head preamp could take it even further. Right tape with gentle handling will last for hundreds of plays and for at least 30-40 years. For archive records is a good idea but that's all.
Tbh of late I have never tried to tape any vinyl but I have taped hires streaming.
On 2 cassette decks and one r2r.

In all instances the taped replay of the hires stream sounds more alive,warmer, fuller and just more musical.

Now you can say it is distortion and that’s fine,I really do not know or care.

As to tape hiss, on my older Akai cassette I can hear slight hiss inbetween tracks at elevated levels but even in quiet passages I really cannot say as I hear any.
That is not to say it’s not there of course,just that it is not obtrusive to myself.

But even on my cheapo Sony r2r it is near impossible for me to detect any tape hiss recorded from hires streams onto Ampex tape ( all I have right now).
This has been a wonderful thread to read.  I have always loved R2R's, now I have a better idea as to why.  Thanks to all for both the technical and non-technical opinions and explanations.

Orpheus10, I have purchased a completely refurbed Otari MX5050Bii2 deck to enjoy while I refurbish my Old Faithful but aging Technics RS-1506US.  I would be most grateful if you could pass along your contact info for the good people at Panasonic.

Btw:  The gentlemen I purchased the Otari from is a pro and very approachable.  He does about 2 Otari R2R's a month.  My timing was perfect as he used 3 decks to make one pristine one, swapping parts between the 3 to make a near perfect machine.  I don't why he was so nice to me.  I'd guess it's partly due to the passion he has for refurbishing these machines.     And the asking price wasn't outrageous for such a prime example of this wonderful machine.

If anyone would like his contact info, let me know.  He has an account on the Reverb website.

Enjoy the ride while you can.  :)