Vibratory or Not?

This is a discussion that for me began on the Stereophile forum which went horribly wrong in my opinion. I was wondering though if this same topic could be discussed here as it comes up a lot in one form or another. My background has been about vibratory tuning as far back as the 70's work in the recording industry and continued into home audio and beyond. The audio signal is one that can be easily tuned, I doubt there is much room there for debate, but we will see, it's Audiogon after all. This being the case I have always concluded that the audio signal is vibratory so has anyone I have ever worked with. It's a common and sometimes even daily practice for someone here to make a vibratory adjustment changing the sound which is obvious to all.

On some of these forum threads however you will see posts saying to get rid of the vibration, without any explanation as to how to remove vibration without altering the audio signal. Every vibratory move I have ever seen done changes the performance of the sound. I've also been a part of the variables of the audio signal during play in real time. If the audio signal is not vibratory how does it change?

I invite you to discuss the vibratory structure and nature of the audio signal.

thanks, lets keep trolling to a minimum please

128x128michaelgreenaudio

audionuttoo
MG, I concur. I have never heard two isolated systems sound the same - only different from an non isolated system.

>>>>I’m not surprised. You know, since no two systems sound the same, isolated or non isolated. Even the same system will sound different in different rooms. Furthermore, since there is no such thing as absolute isolation, isolation systems vary quite a bit in terms of sound quality by their very nature.

Isolation is as much art as science. Results in terms of sound quality depend on many factors - Fr of the isolating system, internal damping of the iso system, damping of the top plate, method of interfacing the component to the top plate, method of interfacing the isolating system to to floor or rack, and geographical location, since seismic type vibration intensity varies from location to location.

The percentage of transmission of vibration for an iso system will obviously be lower for locations well away from cities, subways, traffic, ocean shore, and geographic areas of high microseismic activity.

No matter how much you have in the end you would have had even more if you had started out with more in the beginning.
@ glupson
I'm  afraid you've left out a key piece of the puzzle.
The size and shape of the individuals ears.
Some (although not as aesthetically pleasing as others) are far more efficient at receiving the sound waves and extraneous vibrations.
This could very well explain the heightened sensitivity of our two experts here. I believe this may require further study......  
flapjack, I actually think you might be onto something. But with one minor comment. Inasmuch as the brain 🧠 is the primary mechanism by which we hear, can I suggest amending your post to say something to the effect that the size of the brain determines what individuals hear? Look inside! 🤗

flapjack,

You are definitely right and shape of one's ears must account for something. That, along with those few things I mentioned, is almost never, if ever, mentioned here (Audiogon). In this particular thread, chatting about vibrations, controlling/affecting those parameters may yield significant change. It may not always be practical, but this is a theoretical discussion anyway.

I suspect that having chronically thickened sinus mucosa affects vibrations, and consequently perception of sound, much more than some fancy wood cable elevators or inflated hoses placed strategically under the equipment. Those effects are, in fact, widely known and accepted. Widely minus one (geoffkait).

geoffkait,

"Glubson, you realize there’s a very thin line between being stupid and pretending to be stupid, don’t you?"

Look what I have learned in this thread and what may apply to your understanding of what I wrote earlier...

fool’s par·a·dis noun:

1. a state of happiness based on a person’s not knowing about or denying the existence of potential trouble.
More to discover