$300 for older Rotel/Outlaw or do something else?

I'm interested in easing into the Home Theater world and I'm thinking about using an older sound processor couple with three identical dual channel (120w/ch.) amplifiers to get something 5.1 up and running.

I'm leaning toward something enry level but well rated, like a Rotel RSP-1066 or Outlaw 950, both are in the $300 or less delivered range.

Is this a reasonable move or is there a better way to spend $300 these days for the same result.

I realize I won't get HDMI audio or switching, but I can output Blu-Ray video directly to the HDTV and optical out for excellent, but not lossless, audio.

Is this a reasonable plan? Thank you!
alpha220
Sure. Quite reasonable on a tight budget. In fact, you could utilize the hirez codecs via analog to the prepro and let the br player decode/process for you. That's what I do w/ my oppo83. Just be sure the player does onboard decoding/processing. I know the panny80 does everything onboard if need be and a handful of other br players as well. You also may want to consider a prev-owned Onkyo 600 hundred or 700 series recvr that will do all the latest greatest things...and use the preouts to your amps!
Gave it some thought...Look for an Onkyo 606...hint-hint. See how you like it alone and then jack in the amps if you want/feel you need more.
"In fact, you could utilize the hirez codecs via analog to the prepro and let the br player decode/process for you."

True. I keep thinking that HDMI is needed for 1080p, but apparently later models of the RSP-1066 have the bandwidth for HD passthrough.

"See how you like it alone and then jack in the amps if you want/feel you need more."

I took a look at the Onkyo TX-SR606/607, but they only seem to have line outs for a sub or zone 2. I don't see how I can use my amps for the front, center or surround speakers. In the 2 channel world, the last time I counted on a receiver to provide adequate gusto, I was let down. Maybe I'm missing something there?

Does anyone make a low cost, modern (hdmi-equipped) surround preamplifier/processor? Would something new and low cost compete well with a 7 year old, $1500 surround pre/proc?