Vibratory or Not?

This is a discussion that for me began on the Stereophile forum which went horribly wrong in my opinion. I was wondering though if this same topic could be discussed here as it comes up a lot in one form or another. My background has been about vibratory tuning as far back as the 70's work in the recording industry and continued into home audio and beyond. The audio signal is one that can be easily tuned, I doubt there is much room there for debate, but we will see, it's Audiogon after all. This being the case I have always concluded that the audio signal is vibratory so has anyone I have ever worked with. It's a common and sometimes even daily practice for someone here to make a vibratory adjustment changing the sound which is obvious to all.

On some of these forum threads however you will see posts saying to get rid of the vibration, without any explanation as to how to remove vibration without altering the audio signal. Every vibratory move I have ever seen done changes the performance of the sound. I've also been a part of the variables of the audio signal during play in real time. If the audio signal is not vibratory how does it change?

I invite you to discuss the vibratory structure and nature of the audio signal.

thanks, lets keep trolling to a minimum please

128x128michaelgreenaudio
This is a great thread Michael! I was always confuse when companies talked about resonance tuning. For example Shun Mook talks about sympathetic resonance tuning, Marigo simply says it as resonance tuning and Harmonix says it as controlling negative and positive side of the energy. Are they all talking the same thing as you have been for the past 3 decades when you say vibratory tuning ?

For the past several years after reading your descriptions regarding variable tuning and vibration control I've tried out more and more of your ways and have found that using even a simple wooden chip placed under an equipment or PZCs on walls can seriously affect the sound. This is not something new but it takes my thoughts all the way towards how much can we tune in our preexisting system and how much of an improvement we can make by applying your methods.

Hi tjbhuler, good to see you and thank you!

"Are they all talking the same thing as you have been for the past 3 decades when you say vibratory tuning ?"

More or less, yes. Many of mine incorporate variable adjustments much like musical instruments use and not just placing around, but they would be in the same general family of products. My designing also covers a wider range of frequency response I believe. Meaning I start with lower tones and tune up. Plus I variably tune the entire audio chain.

And yes this is RoomTune’s 30th Anniversary (can you believe it). I did tuning long before that but 1989 was when RoomTune hit the scene.

MG

Hi Geoff

In physics, there are four conventionally accepted fundamental forces or interactions that form the basis of all known interactions in nature.

mg

Michael, and how exactly does that information help your argument? You need to take it to the next level. It’s akin to claiming the sky is blue. It’s a truism.

For those who aren’t convinced by or don’t care about the physics all you really need to do is try isolating something. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

"Michael, and how exactly does that information help your argument?"

Sometimes I copy and paste things directly from the text books so I can avoid any arguments like I did in this case. If someone wants to argue it's not with me.

I find physics to be pretty simple stuff, well documented and easy to demo. I see HEA many times trying to reinvent the wheel, but that just leads to heated discussions and I'd rather be listening to music.

MG

More to discover