Bluesound Node 2

I'm a complete newbie in the digital space, not counting CD players of course. I'm also on a path to upgrade my system from other various angles, mostly preamp and speakers. All that said, I'm currently using a Bluesound Node 2 with a hifi Tidal subscription. No computer files or hardwired USB connections. My first question is where does Bluesound fit in the digital wireless streaming quality hierarchy. And a related question is what would be a good upgrade path, again assuming only wireless streaming as the source. I see a lot of high end DACs out there, some several thousand dollars and wonder if those are only used for connection to a laptop and running computer hirez files, etc. Not a whole lot about wireless streaming. All in all, some guidance in the digital wireless streaming space would be appreciated. Thanks.
128x128kalali
The Bluesound Node 2 in my system links the FLAC ripped and verified music library stored on my NAS to an all tube sound system. The Node 2's interface software is run on an Android tablet which is adds convenience. An audiophile friend Bluetooth's his smart phone to the Node 2 to share new music with me (which has led to more than one purchase). One useful feature is shuffle which plays music I rarely listen to anymore. It's like accidental reunions when running into old friends! Good times. There's a lot of very cool, gee-whiz stuff in this tiny box!

The Bluesound's DAC is decent, though it lent a certain brittleness to my main system's sound. The brittleness wasn't noticeable on my less resolving retro-gear office system. The Node 2's hardware is fairly well thought out and the unit has a variety of output connectors. Connecting the Node 2 via coaxial digital audio cable to the digital input of my Opus 21's CD player's DAC cleaned up the brittleness nicely. For serious listening I still use the Opus. It just sounds more analog.

Unfortunately, though the hardware is sound (pardon the pun), it comes with an inexcusable downside. In the three years the Node2 has been in my system there have been three of what I consider P2 issues with their software/firmware. The factory tech support group is 0-for-3 in resolving them. Given the nature of the problems I will cut them some slack, but their inadequate responses exposes a lack of sophistication in their tech support group. Even that can be forgiven to a certain degree.

What can't be forgiven is that when they ran out of simple suggestions (and nothing I hadn't already tried), Bluesound resorted to blaming the end user for the problem. Their condescending attitude and comments did little other than to add fuel to the fire. That I eventually found workarounds for each of the problems on my own emphasizes Bluesound's tech support's ineptitude. To be clear, I'm not doing anything outside what Bluesound CLAIMS to support in their product specifications. Someone with a simpler setup or problems might be happy with their service. I'm not.

By profession and avocation I am a techie with deep and wide experience. I recognize and appreciate good support. As a downside, those leave me sorely disappointed with any vendor with poor technical service. Even moreso with tech who haven't been trained in how to work with customers. Luckily, I rarely encounter this kind of problem.
For now the Node 2 remains in my system. It's even playing right now. For me it's been a mixed bag of good and bad. YMMV.
bondmanp
2psyop: Did you use the DAC in the SBT, or anexternal DAC? Do you use the Node 2’s built-in DAC or an external DAC? How would you compare the sound of the SBT to the Node 2 in your system? TIA.

Sorry for the very late reply!!! I did use the original SB dac. not the SBT. I have used both the Node 2 DAC and an external DAC with it. The sound of the Bluesound Node 2 is much better than the SB. The Node 2 playing MQA files is very very nice. The Node 2 playing with an ext DAC is also very good, but BS Internal DAC with MQA still the best sound. I think the Node 2 as a budget streamer/DAC is an exceptional value. My experience with the customer suppport has been outstanding. They have been able to help me with many issues.
I use the Node 2 to play these kind of audio files;
1 Straight streaming of Tidal and Spotify albums via Benchmark DAC
2 Streaming of Tidal MQA albums via Node 2 DAC
3 Wired streaming of AIff files on Western Digital MyCloud HDD through Benchmark DAC
4 Wireless streaming of AIFF files on Western Digital MyCloud through Benchmark.
Am revisiting this discussion to add extra detail for future researchers.
I recently upgraded the (above referenced) Bluesound Node 2 to a Simaudio Moon MiND2. Both were run through the same DAC (Resolution Audio Opus 21) for comparison.
The Bluesound has decidedly better software and overall better firmware.

The MiND2 is three times more expensive than the Node 2. It requires a DNLA server (also not an issue) and can interface with products like Roon. It's a very well built product.

Pick the poison based on your desires.

The difference in the sound between the two was eye opening. Yes, the MiND2 is three+ times the cost of the Node 2. The MiND2 also doesn't include a DAC (though the Node 2's DAC isn't worth writing home about). The sound of the MiND2, and isn't that the teller, more than eclipses that of the Node 2. Even on a cost comparison basis. The MiND2 simply has SUBSTANTIALLY more of all the things audiophiles want: air, dimension, clarity, etc. This observation has been acknowledged by other with experience with both products.

But let's be fair. The Bluesound Node 2 is a good bang for the buck buy. In spite of certain support issues, it opened the door to my converting to a full digital front end (remote NAS storage. music server, DAC, etc.). A result with which I am very happy. Changing to the Moon server and a Benchmark DAC completed that move.

If you're just starting down the path of setting up a full digital front end, the Node 2 is a good, reasonably low cost starting point. If you're somewhat technically competent or have friends who are, or don't have an inordinately sophisticated network, you may be happy with Bluesound's support. Just don't plan on using their support for more than just the basics. 
Depending on the resolution of your system the Node 2 might be a good landing point. Just know that there are better options if you can stretch a bit.