Arguments devolve on threads to wordsmithing contests

Why is it that so many well-intentioned threads devolve into wordsmithing contests? Is it necessary to argue about the meaning of posts when the language thereof is reasonably clear on its face?
128x128celander
It isn't a trend isolated to this forum or audiophiles in general, the entire online ecosystem is up to its neck in semantic police. That said, written communication's true meaning often is less than clear in spite of the fact the author thinks the content is straight forward. The subtle clues of meaning and intent we pick up from face to face interaction is sorely missing in the online universe. 

oh, yeah. wires. always the hotttest contests surround freakin' wires.

as for word smithing. that would be a step up from some of the wire threads I've seen. 

the 'smiths' are usually on the 'science' side of the coin, and the rest are on the 'snake oil' side.

I''m on the coin that stands on end. there is something to wires, but not as much as some would want others to accept or believe.

perhaps though, the largest factor is simply the web. anonymity. folks have in the past decades been tweaked by the web to say 'anything'. And for any reason. to build themselves up somehow, and or to denigrate another, as there are no substantial immediate consequences for untoward acts.

back in the early 00's folks were a lot nicer especially on these pages.
just my two cents.
Communication is pretty fundamental. Most understand the literal meaning of words when strung together in cogent (or not so cogent) sentences. Only the context of emotional nuance is missing owing to the medium. Yet when folks engage in the battle of the quotations, all hope of agreement seems lost as to the meaning held within content between the 2 quotation marks.