An encounter and lesson in speaker prices ...

Not to long ago, in a shop I like but will remain nameless I got to observe a customer evaluate a pair of systems side by side. The buyer had an eastern European accent. First they listened to the larger system, $50k speakers, equivalently priced amps and digital.

It sounded _really_ good. Then we moved to another system. Slightly smaller speaker pair, around $20k, completely different DAC and amp. Sounded like crap. The digititis was unbearable and the speakers were clearly out of phase. On top of that, the treble and bass balance were now all wrong.

The buyer was "I like them, what colors do they com in? " and that was that.

After the buyer left I looked behind at the amp. Yep, I was right, the pahse was reversed. The darkness of the room and angle made this an easy and common mistake to make. But the rest was unbearable.

What is my point? The people buying the top end gear are not necessarily the one’s with decent ears, so we really cannot trust price points to be any sort of guide to value. If you develop your taste on your own, independent of prices, you can score some fabulously performing gear at a fraction of what this buyer was going to end up with.

Best,

E
erik_squires
jnovak,

".....it sounds different that day! Anyone else experience this?"
Me. Sometimes with my own system that I, by now, should be familiar with.

What is my point? The people buying the top end gear are not necessarily the one’s with decent ears, so we really cannot trust price points to be any sort of guide to value.

I know that guy!!

his wife told him, “Don’t buy the first thing you hear, and make sure they are available in Jade Green to match the living room furniture”.

prices are not set by the buyer, but by the seller. or by the maker. MSRP has to be the base line used to equate value on brand new components.

an ‘agreed’ to private selling price is a bit different. it is only then we get to see what the actual margins might be on various goods.

one thing is for sure in any aspect of the American economy, there is no accounting for taste, nor is there much real thoughtful consideration going into the bulk of what American’s buy.

in a valueless society price is king.

buyer’s preliminary investigations only revolve around price! nothing more.

bring up audio in a room with 20 folks. half of them if not more will automatically either think or outright mention ‘Bose’, not that there is anything wrong with Bose. although it reveals just how invested into audio most people are.

I think Bose is to blame for why most folks believe speakers alone are the reason why a sound system is good, better, or best.

often the average Joe Q Public is thinking bigger speakers mean better sound.

I learned long ago not to mention to those not truly in the ‘know’ how much anything I own cost.

especially wires.

if I do relate how much, either they doubt my sanity further, or openly giggle or laugh at the amount I disclose.

if or when they see a tube amp on the rack, they always ask “so you are into antiques?’

on the flip side, to a person, everyone says its the best they have ever heard outside of a live performance.

BTW, I thought ‘out of phase’ meant the wires on each speaker were reversed. not just the channels.

of course, if one walks around and stands behind the miswired reversed channel speakers, all will be well. … unless of course they are as well , wired ’out of phase’ then, it won’t matter where you stand.

I would mention such a thing at any dealership just to see what they do or what they said about it.
"I would mention such a thing at any dealership just to see what they do or what they said about it."
+1

They might have not done it on purpose and it would have been a nice gesture.

Naturally.

it pays to have a small LED light around in so many ways, and have only one person wiring up the rig.
Post removed