Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
newbee, I will check the presto site. I did run across it recently so time to look further.
  1. So I picked up Schubert Impromptus Decca Brendel edition. Played disc 1 everyday on the way to work. I think I only have one other Schubert disc.
  2. Faure Piano Quintets Hyperion (used) I guess high-romantic? Not sure yet but sounds fine.
  3. Wranitzky- the one another poster suggested. I like it.
  4. Wood Works- Danish String Quartet I like this, nordic folk themes.
  5. Luigi Nono- La Lontanza nostalgica.. It might take a minute. Nice sound though.
  6. Danish String Quartet Beethoven, Shostakovich, Bach
  7. Phillip Glass Partitas for Solo Cello-from what I recall, I need to try it again. I honestly must have just gone by reviews on this I don’t have much Glass.
  8. Vivaldi --Concerto per violino VI ’La boemia’ - very nice, naive disc.

I am reading the Brahms book before I tackle the Bach.
Listened to the first two movements of Mahler’s 6th on the way to work yesterday, I guess I’ve had it forever. Is that considered a good showpiece or is there a better one? I mean for main system experience.

Guys who never wrote a bad note;
Mozart , Schubert, Brahms .

Bach is a given .As are Schumann’s chamber pieces .

Among modern composers Leos Janacek excels in everything .His string quartets are to die for !
If you like long , sweeping symphonies that are just plain beautiful , Sibelius is your man .
Mahler is someone you either like or you don't . No shame either way .
Pete23, As far as showpieces go, the Mahler 6 would be fine if the person whom you are showing has the patience. It is long!!! but never boring. It is my favorite Mahler by far (though I like them all). 

Now if you really want to show off your system I can't think of a better recording than that of Copland's 3d Synphony on the Reference Recording Label. The first piece is Copland's Fanfare for a Common Man. The brass and drums will light your fire for sure. And it is a pretty good version as well.

I don't know the Wood Works you refer to, but if you like Nordic folk music, for something off the beaten path you might try/like Greirr Tveitt's 100 Folk-tunes from Hardanger on BIS. Caveat though, this is not warmed over Greig or Halverson. 

And something rarely mentioned, but which I really enjoy a great deal it movie music by Nino Rota. My first Rota recording was by Muti on the Sony label, which is still my favorite by some margin. It includes an ear worm you just can't resist, Dances from Il Gattopardo.

Lastly, another outstanding piece of music you rarely hear, by another 'Hollywood' composer, Miklos Rozsa. Concerto for Violin and Orchestra. I like the recording on the Koch label but there is an excellent series of this and his other orchestral music on the Chando label. 

Dances from Il Gattopardo.
I see old man Burt Lancaster dancing with beautiful young Claudia Cardinale and jealous Alain Deloit watchinghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb0IlSBFVt0