how good is oppo bdp 83 on music from c.d.'s?

Please tell what you are comparing it to ...... thanks
1larry

BDP 83 has an audiophile upgrade for $299. The Special Edition enhances only the analog audio connection (Stereo, 5.1ch or 7.1ch). If you use HDMI the upgrade is not recommended.

The upgrade will involve the replacing of the following parts from the player:

1. Audio Board
2. Power Supply Board
3. Back Panel with RS232 port.

OPPO BDP 83 Upgrade
You may wish to also look at the new BDP-83SE which has claimed improvements, to the Analog Audio sections.
As stated, you may want to get the SE addition. The standard is just OK. In fact, going to my DAC, so as a transport, it's just OK as well.
The upgrade that Lapierre mentions takes the base BDP83 model and upgrades it to the SE version, which has the upgraded DAC chipsets from ESS and has beefier analog power supplies. But to answer the OP's original question, the base BDP-83 ($499) is a decent digital player, probably competes with players in the sub $1000 range pretty effectively. But as with all such players, it's a bit lean and analytical sounding when you compare it to materially more expensive CD players. I have the ARC Ref CD7 and the Oppo. I do not listen to CDs through my Oppo but I have a few SACDs and when I listen to those on the Oppo BDP-83, it still feels a bit etchy and grainy and digitally compared to the ARC player but not bad at all. If the Oppo is the only player you are considering than I would wait to get feedback on the SE version or enquire about the many aftermarket mods now available from RAM or Modwright for example that primarily address the analog output stages.