Why not horns?

I've owned a lot of speakers over the years but I have never experienced anything like the midrange reproduction from my horns. With a frequency response of 300 Hz. up to 14 Khz. from a single distortionless driver, it seems like a no-brainer that everyone would want this performance. Why don't you use horns?
macrojack
Herman, we can use flea power because of the efficiency of the drivers that can be used with horn loading. Horns are a device that give a certain amount of gain with a particular driver. The efficiency can be enhanced with a horn, but the horn itself is not what dictates the power needs.

I understand, and am not irritated by physics, that with a longer horn and smaller throat, a different drive will yield different sound. But to say that something is not a horn because it uses 200+ watts is not accurate. I guess you really said "true" horn. How about saying "a non-folded horn". That I believe I can agree with.

I can theorize that the seismics are about 101-102 db. The drivers are 95 dB and I can guess to at at least a 6db gain. But this is a bass horn, ~20-200 Hz. There is quite a bit of energy needed to get from 40Hz (your horns) down another 20, and mine are a folded horn which I can move from room to room if needed.

The rest of the horn system is easily 110+ dB and that is what I referred to in my last post. I'm biamping this upper end with two, 50watt amps. They rarely get beyond the first watt, except for the amp driving the mid-bass. It probably does get a bit of a workout from the 105-106 db mid-bass. There again using a large driver because it is a 3/8 horn. It's not even worth talking about the mid-range and tweeter horns.

There is a lot more to creating a note and creating a note that sounds as big as the instrument which originally created it. This is subjective, naturally, based on the music that each of us prefers.

to all,

Did someone actually tell me that all horns are not alike? ;-) Really? I would have never guessed. I thought that all through this thread I have been pointing that out. My way is not the only way. Neither is yours.

Duke .. LOL....

Duke are you saying those that dislike horns cannot pick them out in a blind test , good Man , you know your market,
Stevie wonder must have a Pr then ? ..........LOL

Dukey maybe you have yet to hear good hi-fi, hence the horns ...)

Seriously i'm sure you can respect it does not work for everyone and with good reason.

Most dealers have had the same bad experience for years, just stick you head into one of their demonstration room's ...

Deaf comes to mind !!!
Prez, so one watt to the basshorns produces 109dB at one meter?

Identical in every way expect the fact that the monobloc has paralleled outputs.
Identical except it has more power and a different output impedance and just about everyone who has tried it says running a stereo amp in mono changes it's sound even if they are played to the same level.

BTW, If you take a 75W amp and run it as a monoblock you get twice the voltage swing so 4 times the power, not twice. What amps were these?

Wes, that is what Dan told us, I was asking him to clarify if that was what he meant.
I believe the presenter in the Cathedral room (the designer of the speakers I believe) told me it was a vintage Fisher tube amp of some sort, but it was tucked away and I did not see it.

The source was digital, a Marantz player or something along those lines, but not certain.
I wish you could edit,

Prez, you said the outputs of the amp were parallel to double the power. It doesn't work that way. Please clarify.