2 way vs 3 way question

Hopefully avoiding all the potential puns....and with the possible exception of deep bass, can a well designed and executed 2 way tower sound as good a well designed and executed 3 way tower when it comes to soundstage, detail, tone, etc....and if so, what are some examples?
snapsc
wolf, normally u and i fully on same page...however it is not like 2’s have little output below 40, in fact the acoustic coupler is capable of much...
i would MUCH rather a good two or three way than poorly integrated HT sounding subwoofers.....which is all to often the norm...sadly..

but because I like precision and not jazz ( i am expecting you to get this Wolf, if anybody does )...

the model 2

29 to 29 KHz plus or minus 3 db
and a fantastic 
32 to 21 KHz plus or minus 1.5

hammer down on low B

maybe I should give up my dinky Taylor bass.....
Instead of asking for the best from a theoretical point, simply ask what’s the best speaker you can afford. 

If only looking at new: 

KEF R3, KEF R300, Philharmonic BMR (unless you sit far away), NHT C3/C4, Revel M105/M106, and Selah Audio Onesto. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head as being some of the best out there at their respective prices.